Thursday, June 6, 2019

Nookie

I caught my daughter’s listening to it
And I was just like--

Whoa there
This is not a song for you

And they were like--

Dad, we’re thirteen

And I was like--

Holy--

It had not--

I mean, it had not occurred to--

Of course
I know how old my daughters are
But it had just--

I think--

Let’s back up

I think over time
We’ve sort of--

Honored the boy bands
And the pop stars
Acknowledged, uh,
How much they meant
To a certain--

To, you know, the TRL generation

But we’ve sort of...erased…

Limp Bizkit

And, uh, yeah
There are reasons
For that

Good reasons

Understandable
Reasons

I was a big fan of theirs
And then one day--

I think anyone
Would have a hard time telling you
When exactly
They stopped being
A Limp Bizkit fan

It just sort of happens

But it does happen
And when it does
You, uh, you put a lot of
Those songs
And that music
Just--

Just totally
Out of your mind

So when I heard my daughters
Listening to “Nookie”
I was like--

It was like
They found a dirty pile of magazines
I used to look at or something

Uh, it was--

Pretty jarring

And they just thought
It was stupid

Uh, they saw right through it
They were like--

Dad, this song is so bad
You liked this?

And you want to argue with them
But, uh--

Have you heard “Nookie” lately?

It, uh, it--

Does not hold up

Not at all

It just sounds like--

Well, it sounds like
Who it was made for

A bunch of teenage boys
Who are angry at nothing
And want everybody to believe
They’re getting laid all the time
When they’re not

It just sounds so...sad

And I mean I’m still angry
And I still have no reason to be angry
And I still want everybody to believe
I’m getting laid all the time

...And I’m not

So there was a part of me
Hearing that song
That, for a second,
Was like--

Oh man, I used to love this song

And then I looked at my daughters
Listening to the song
And looking at me
And looking at me listening to the song
And I thought--

Oh man…

I used to love this song

No comments:

Post a Comment