Wednesday, June 24, 2009

How I Got My Revenge

I woke up every morning
I did the crossword
I had my coffee
I made two scrambled eggs
I watch my daughter play on the lawn

I kissed my spouse
I went to work
I did my best
I high-fived my boss
I landed a big account

I laid in the sun
I played in the snow
I went to New York
I danced when I wanted to
I ate too much chocolate

I learned to make a souffle
I learned to laugh when I wanted to scream
I learned to love the radio
I learned to hate moping
I learned to write something everyday

I forgot to beat myself up
I forgot to let it hang over my head
I forgot to stare at people frowning at me
I forgot to spend time on hopelessness
I forgot to cry about it

I know they say
That the best revenge
Is living well

But the only way
That really works
Is if the person you want revenge from
Knows how well you're living

Now I know that true revenge
Is saying--

'Yeah, I screwed up. I'm sorry.'

And forgiving
The next person
Who does to you
What you did to someone else

In that moment
That moment when you forgive
Something someone else wouldn't
You have achieved revenge

Because not only have you lived well
You've allowed someone else
To do the same

No comments:

Post a Comment