Saturday, June 20, 2009

Summer's Gone

-- I know it's a little bit odd to write a piece called "Summer's Gone" in June, but I like the way it sounds. --

"Summer's Gone"

I know where he is
Down on Chilton Street
Past the boulevard
Reading magazines

At that seedy little bookstore
Where you two rendezvous
Looking around the shelves
To see if you're hiding there
Waiting for him
To give you a lift
Onto of the Hemingway pile

I know where he is
I know who he is
I knew who he was
When I married him

And I'm not surprised
Never been surprised
By his indiscretions
A lesson you learn
When you earn yourself a ring
Is that nothing is simple

Nothing is simple
And nothing is simple
Or easy, or carefree
With him

And I deal with that
And I live with that
And I'm good with that
When it's summertime

'Cause we all get hot
And we all get crazy
And we're all looking
To take off our clothes

And our skin
And our jobs
And our wedding rings
And roll around
In the back of some bookstore
With some bitch from Brale Street
You meet on a Friday
At Tully's Bar and Grille

But the summer's gone
Honey, summer's gone
No more lemonade
No more bathing suits

You gave him something to sweat on
When he needed to feel like a boy
But cold weather is coming
And he's gonna need warming up
That's where I come in

No more barbecues
No more backyard flings
No more volleyball
No more block parties

'Cause the summer's gone
And the bookstore's closed
Till next June rolls around
He'll be good again

He won't wander or wonder
What he might be missing
While he's kissing me under the blankets
While the radiator's hissing
And he won't be missing you
On those nights

On those winter nights
On those snowy days
You'll be far away
In some faded place
Where it's just as cold
And you're all alone

With nobody's husband
And nobody's nothin'
And all that you've got
Is a copy of 'The Sun Also Rises'
And the picture of you two
At the beach

I wasn't worried
I wasn't scared
I knew time would tell
And it told on you

I just wait it out
Like I always do
And now summer's gone
And sweetie

So are you

No comments:

Post a Comment