Saturday, June 6, 2009

Nine Photos

I. The Park

This is where we used to walk
When it was summer
When I was a student
We'd discuss our classes
And eat wraps from the place nearby
It was a block from our apartment
And after our walks
We'd go home
Those were our days

II. Above It All

He sits above the ocean
With wet jeans and no shirt
And I snap a photo of him
Wondering when the last time
We made love was
He seems not to be afraid
Of the heights
Of the fact that we're both out of work
Of how far there is to fall

III. Red Lipstick

I'm confused
I don't entirely believe it
I'm running late
Really late
My heels are new
My dress is old
But still pretty damn hot
I don't know my husband at all
And we're having a baby

IV. Camping

Look up
Take in the blue sky
Don't pay attention to Maxie
Crying because she's fallen
She's always falling
She needs to learn to fall
Pick herself up
Keep going
Nature will teach her that

V. The Girls

Three girls
A son would have been nice
But three girls is fine
It's just fine
As long as one of them admires you
As long as they all don't resent you
As long as you're a good mother
A terrific single mother
The best of all time

VI. The Adult

Is she the adult?
Or am I?
It's hard to tell
When she's wearing that
Smiling like a sphinx
Making me uncomfortable
Making the waiter drop his tray
Another dinner ruined
Happy Mother's Day

VII. Playing the Piano

He's too young for me
He looks like Michael
He plays very well
He's smoking
He's a smoker
He's looking over at me
He could be my nephew
He could be a lot of things
He's so young

VIII. The Shoes on the Beach

His arm is around me
Our shoes are behind us
I've never seen a sunset
While sitting on a beach
Next to a man who loves me
More than I love him
There's sand on my fingertips
He leans over and kisses my neck
I want to go in the water so badly

IX. The Writer

The keys are there
But I can't use them
I have nothing to say
The girls haven't called
Michael has been gone for a week
I can't make myself cry
Danny will be home soon
And I wanted to have written something
Something about myself

No comments:

Post a Comment