Friday, June 26, 2009

Play I'll Be There

I'm drunk
I know I'm drunk
I'm forty-eight years old
Do you know
That in forty-eight years
I have only been this drunk
Three other times

And every one of those times
'I'll Be There' was playing

I got drunk when I got married
I danced with my wife
On a patio
At my brother's house
That's where we had our reception

We ate barbecue chicken
And it rained
And my wife laughed at me
Because I had barbecue sauce
All over my face
And I was a mess
And she was a masterpiece
And we danced
To 'I'll Be There'

I got drunk when my son was born
I kept crying and crying
And I was sitting in the waiting room
And everybody thought
That something bad had happened
Because I was sniveling
Snot coming out of my nose
It was disgusting
And I was drunk
Because I had to be
Because if anything bad had happened--

It was a complicated birth
And we almost lost my wife
And then everything turned out okay
But by that time, I was gone
And they took me into the room
And there he was

He was perfect
I was drunk
And the nurses had the radio on
In the nurses' station
And guess what?

'I'll Be There'

I got drunk when my son called
To tell me I was a grandfather
Because my wife and I
Were on vacation
In Jamaica
Because our daughter-in-law
Wasn't due for another month
And my wife convinced me to get drunk
And then the phone rings
And I'm drunk
And I'm a grandfather
And I'm old
And I'm deliriously happy

And out on the beach
There was a bonfire
With a bunch of college kids
And it was the 90's
And you could hear Mariah playing
Playing while they sang

Playing 'I'll Be There'

Tonight I'm drunk
Because I heard that song
I heard that song on the radio
And then I heard the news
And people die too young
And you screw up a lot
Before you finally die
And let people remember
All the good shit you did
But that's life
That's music, right?

Isn't that music?

So do me a favor
I'm already drunk
I'm already here
I'm already forty-eight
And I want to hear 'I'll Be There'

Just play 'I'll Be There'
And I'll listen
And I'll drink
And maybe I'll sing along

No comments:

Post a Comment