Thursday, January 4, 2018

In Between The Living

In between jobs
He’s going to come home
And stink like dish soap

You get me my cigarettes?
Yeah, I got ‘em
Leave ‘em near the stove
I might want to smoke later

But I won’t

I’ll just leave ‘em there
And smoke 'em
On my break at work

You got to test yourself
Every now and then
See how far you can take it

He has a jar for his tips
That he keeps up in his room
Stashed away
So I can’t find it

He still remembers
When I smashed his piggy bank
And took all his change
So we could pay rent that month

Some mothers do that kind of shit
And buy drugs
Get drunk
Spend it on themselves

I just needed to pay rent
So I don’t feel bad
For Piggy

. . . . .

Maybe I feel a little bad

You got to leave room for regret
In between the living

If you move and move and move
You'll wind up somewhere
But it’s not usually
Where you want to be

I wound up with a kid
And a guy I can’t find
His father
And the rent
And a broken piggy bank

Now we got a tip jar
And I’m not supposed to know
Where it is

...But I do

The tip jar I leave alone
Even when we can’t make the rent

Now I just talk to the landlord
I explain some things to him
And sometimes he’s nice
And when he’s nice
We get a few extra days

And when he’s not nice...

...I think about the tip jar

But…

I figure it out

Takes me awhile, but…

I figure it out

On my smoke breaks at work
I do the numbers
I add
I subtract

I told my kid
To be good at math
And he is

He’s got a good head for that
Better than me even

And he’s got a way of looking at people
Women, especially
Probably comes from being raised by...

Absence makes more of an impression
Than impact

That’s what the sign says
At the counselor’s office
Where I work

I think about all the people we had
In our lives
Me and my kid

I can count ‘em all
On two fingers

And then I think about--

The other people
The absent people
The ones who never showed up

And yeah

It’s true

All that absence

It makes one hell
Of an impression

No comments:

Post a Comment