Saturday, January 20, 2018

Nicknames for the Dying

I got nicknames
For all the dying

That fair-haired one
With the slow walk
Towards Back Funnel

He’s not going to be around
Much longer

Twice I seen him stumble
Twice I set up
Ready to help him out

But now he's got his footing back
Good for him

Sometimes you can’t help
Rooting for them
It’s human nature

You want a smoke?

I’m trying to quit
Because—
I got this cough
And it’s pissing me off

Gets my hand shaking
And that’s no good

Slow Cooker
That’s what I call
The fair-haired one

The one with the cane
Is Ahab

And the two sisters
Are the Shining Twins

There are more
But those are the ones
I see all the time

I'd bet on Slow Cooker
Dropping first
But he’s a stubborn
Son-of-a-bitch

And that just goes to show you

You don’t really know
How much kick
Somebody has left in ‘em
Until you’re waiting for 'em
To run out on you

My father’s nickname
Was Pocket Change
Because he’d always go around
Shaking two quarters together
Like he was heading
For a jukebox

Some other guy
Took him out
'Cause I had another job
Out-of-state that day

Thought maybe I had a few more months with him
But there you go

Can’t plan on anything
These days

My ex-wife came to the funeral
And asked me
When I’m going to stop
All this

I told her there are things in this world
That need to be taken care of
And if she doesn’t want to be one of the people
Stepping up to handle what needs handling
Then she should keep her mouth shut

She didn’t like that very much

And I didn’t like her
Coming to my father’s funeral
Telling me what I ought to be doing
With my life

Jesus Christ

You think this is how I wanted things to go?

Trust me
I had other plans
For myself

Other things
I wanted
To accomplish

But that and a dollar
Might get you some gum
And not much else...

I gotta tell you something
Because if I don’t
It’ll eat away at me

I had a shot at Slow Cooker yesterday
A good one

He fell

Right outside his house
A few feet from his front door
He just went down

And when they fall
You’re not supposed to ask questions
You’re just supposed to take your shot

He even laid there for a second
Probably waiting for it
Probably knew
Somebody was watching

We all have a job to do here

And Slow Cooker was laying there
Waiting for me
To do my job

And I didn’t do it

Not sure why

I’ll be honest with you
I’ve heard other guys talk about times
When they just couldn't pull it

Not because they froze
Or they panicked
Or they felt guilty

It's just…

Sometimes you can’t

I’ve never had that problem
But yesterday…

I didn’t even take the safety off
I didn’t even…

Just waited for him to get up
Then let him walk away

I said if he fell again
I would take care of him
But he didn’t
And a part of me
Knew he wouldn't

He went inside his house
I had a smoke
Coughed for what felt like
Five fucking hours
And then I just…

Kept sitting there

You’re not supposed to give them nicknames
Any of them
And if you find out one of their real names
By accident or something
You’re supposed to request
Reassignment
But…

Slow Cooker’s mine

And I feel a…

I feel that when it’s his time
I’ll know when that it is

And I can make a judgment call
That’s based on more than just—

Oh, well he fell
Oh, okay, well
That’s it

No

No, no, no

Fuck that

I’ll say when it’s time

I’ll be the one
To decide

No comments:

Post a Comment