Thursday, January 25, 2018

This Is Not Your Fight

I’m going to tell you something
And I don’t really give a fuck
If you listen


But up your ears
Or not
It's all the same to me


Sit there
Chewing on gum
Smacking those lips
Like you don’t give a fuck
On this earth


Well pardon me
I guess I’ll just talk to myself


Either either
Neither neither


Neither one
Goes up my ass
I don’t care
Either neither way, okay?


Sound good to you?


Now here it is:


This
Is not
Your fight


Now I know you hear the dragon outside
I hear it too


It’s not my first dragon either neither
You know what I’m saying?


Not the first time
Somebody was banging on the door
Trying to get in


And you gotta know, see?


You gotta know
When to open the door

You gotta know
When it’s your fight


Now that’s a personal type of thing
For a young person


So it’s not my place to say
What is
And what isn’t


But if somebody who wasn’t smacking lips
And chewing gum
Asked for my opinion
I’d tell them
That I don’t think
This is their fight


That’s how I see it


Maybe you see it some other way


Sharpening your knife
Getting your game face on
Ready to tussle


How much tussle
You got in you, huh?


Because that dragon outside?


She’s been tussling
Her whole life


She’s not one of those boy dragons
That blows out all their fire
In the first bustle and brawl


No, she’s smart


She’s got a little smirk
A little something extra
A little bit of know-how


And she knows all about how
Your stupid ass
Is going to go outside
Ready to fight
And then she’s going to snatch you


And I’ll find you on the floor
In the bathroom
Shaking and choking
On your own spit


Saying--


Help me
Help me


Not so fresh then
Not so know-it-all


No, the know-how
Beats the know-it-all
That’s how that works


I’ll find you
And hold you
And wonder why
You thought
This was your fight


But by then
The fight’s over


By then
It’s too late


So trust me
When I tell you


This is not your fight


This ain’t anybody’s fight

Some fights belong to the hero
And some belong to the dragon


And you better know
Which is which


You better know
When to stand up
And walk away

No comments:

Post a Comment