Thursday, January 18, 2018

Gossip for the Lord

Praise be to the Lord
A lord looking to hear
Who’s been naughty
And who’s been nice

Praise be to a god like Santa Claus
And like my grandmother
And my aunts
And my mother

Who jumped on a telephone
Anytime she saw a man
Walking into Lois Paumgarten’s house
While Mr. Paumgarten was at work

The birds on the telephone wire
Flew towards Heaven
And why shouldn’t they?

What my mother was doing
Was no sin

It was sacred

It was treasured
It was gossip for the Lord

You think the lord doesn’t wanna know
Who’s stepping out on who?

I hear what you’re saying out there
In those cheap seats
In those wooden seats
In those back rows

You’re saying the Lord already knows
Who's doing wrong by who
And that’s a fact

But knowing isn't gossip
Knowing is only a small part
Of gossip

My mother knew lots of things
And she took it all with her
When she went
To her grave

Now we tell people all the time
That you can’t take it with you

Don’t we say that?
Isn’t that what we say?

But you see, we only say that
When we’re talking about money
And clothes
And cars

We don’t say it
When we’re talking about
Secrets

Do we?

And why not?

Why take all that juicy goodness
With you
When you go?

You think the Lord wants that?

You think the Lord wants you
Holding all that in?

You think the Lord wants you
To sit there
In the cheap seats
In the back rows
Keeping all that
To yourselves?

Let me tell you something—

I don’t think so

I do not
Think so

The Lord wants us to gossip

The Lord wants to hear us laughing and carrying on
About who’s doing what with who
And where they’re doing it
And what happened when Mr. Paumgarten came home early from work
And the other guy jumped out of the third story window
And landed in Mrs. P’s bushes

Now I’ve heard some people
From upon altars
And from behind pulpits
Such as this one
Complain about rumors
And compare them to shredded paper
Floating in the wind

Or feathers from a pillow
That can’t be put back in

But to them, my colleagues
My misguided colleagues

I say this—

If you see me at a party
Sit next to somebody else

Because I love to gossip
I love to talk
And I gotta talk about something
Now don’t I?

They say great minds talk about ideas
Average minds talk about events
And small minds talk about people

Well, let me ask you all something

All of you
Sitting in the cheap seats
In the wooden seats
In the back rows

Don’t people come up with ideas?
Don’t people attend events?
How can you talk about anything
Without talking about people?

I’m not saying it’s gotta be malicious
I’m not saying you have to gossip
With malice in your heart

But there’s nothing wrong
With giggling on the phone
The way my mother used to
Because one day the mailman and the plumber
Walked into Mrs. Paumgarten’s house at the same time

That’s just fun
That’s all that is

Fun

Mrs. Paumgarten had her fun
So why shouldn’t my mother
Have a little bit too?

See, my mother didn’t have a lot

My father worked on the road
And he’d be gone
Months at a time

And me, I was at school
Or at sports
Or running after some girls

--One of them being Mrs. Paumgarten's daughter

And my mother needed something
To keep her occupied
Because back then
Nobody told a woman
She could have agency

Nobody told her
That she had the power to do something
With herself

To get up out of the house
And go get a job
Or not to bother sitting around
Waiting for her husband
Or her son to get home

My mother didn’t have a lot of joy
In her life

So when I’d come home
And see her sitting on the phone
Holding her sides from laughing
About everything she’d seen out the window
Of our little apartment
On Knox and Turnmount
I’d feel glad

And thinking back now
I can’t believe that the Lord ever looked at that
And was…displeased
With my mother

If what she did was a sin
Then I bet the Lord
Forgave it
And kept right on loving the sinner
The way we're all supposed to do

Even those of us
In the back rows

The joy a little talking
Gave to a woman
Who spent her whole life
Listening

To my father
To me
To Bible salesman
Who’d stop by to bother her
Almost every day

To Mrs. Paumgarten
Who used to lecture my mother
Over the phone
About what a good
Christian woman
She was

So I don’t think a little gossip
Hurt the Paumgarten’s all that much

And I bet the Lord didn’t think so either

Because if the sound
Of my mother’s laughter wasn’t Heavenly
Then I don’t know what is

No comments:

Post a Comment