Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Nobody's Playing Piano Tonight

Nobody’s playing piano
In the lobby
Tonight

The elevator’s empty
The stairs
The lost and found
The concierge desk

Two rooms smell like kerosene
Two others let the wind come in
That's the way
That's the wiggle

Windows
Doors
They’re luxuries

Carpets ripped up
Covers pulled off
A chocolate candy
Stuck to the floor

I’m waiting here for you, my dear
I’m waiting with my suitcase packed
I’m waiting with my violin
I’m waiting
I’m waiting
I’m waiting

Which room?
What time?
Did I get the directions right?

She kept you from me
But she can’t anymore
I’m here to celebrate
Two rooms please
One for us
And one for the party

I don’t need a ring
Like the one you bought her

Let her keep her married name
I’ll just have you
And your sensitive demeanor

Your simple way
Of carrying luggage
And bandaging wounds
And tripping
While you dance

She talks like a snake charmer
But I don’t talk at all

I let you do the talking
And I go where I’m told
And the hotel sits empty
The beds unmade
The paint chips
The salad bar rots
The windows fog up
Before they break

It’s pretty
If you like dying things

And it’s scary
If you scare easy

Today they asked me
How long I’d be here
And I said I didn’t know
Because I’ve already been waiting
All this time

But my suitcase won’t open
And my eyes won’t close
And I can’t sleep anymore
Because there aren’t any pillows
Or beds
Or dreams to dream
Or nightmares left to have

The televisions play
The radios whistle
The floorboards give up
And the ceiling fans whip themselves
Into a frenzy

All at the suggestion
That someone else
Might be coming here
Tonight

But the music—?

There is no music

Just ladies crying
In far away bathrooms
And dapper gentlemen
Lighting cigars

Dogs barking
In dark neighborhoods
Where the streetlights
Were torn down
In favor of
Towers
Where men could sit
And wait for someone
To walk past them
Without permission

I wonder if that’s what happened to him

I wonder if he walked past
Without the proper permits
And—

A cricket
A rat
A bird flies
The ladies cry

What’s this?
What’s that?

It’s not a bell
We don’t have bells
We only have
Things
Falling down

Somebody could do this
And somebody could manage that
But nobody can do everything
And it’s only nobody here

Nobody comes
Nobody goes
Nobody has anything
To say

And nobody’s playing piano
Because nobody knows how to play

No comments:

Post a Comment