Monday, January 15, 2018

Fake Autographs

She’s going to make me go with her
So I’m going to sign fake autographs
And that's how that's gonna work


Every time someone
Puts a piece of paper in front of me
I’m going to sign a name
That’s not mine


She’ll take me to dinners
Where I won’t eat
And parties where I won’t talk
And if someone gives me a cocktail napkin
I’ll put a name on it
That has more vowels than mine does
And a flair at the end


A dramatic flair


I cough all the time now
I spit up blood
I urinate blood
I can’t seem to keep blood
From coming out of me


A comet hit what we call ‘the yard’
In front of our house
Even though it’s really just a pile of sand
And even though she told me
The comet wasn’t a comet
But some other scientific thing
That I couldn’t give a fuck about
I still feel concerned, ya know? About the comet
About the blood


Even though the explosion
Shattered the first layer of high-support glass
That we have on all the windows
She still went to her talk
On Interplanetary Diplomacy
Leaving me to worry that the second
Much thinner
Layer of glass
Was going to break
And vacuum me up into the red dust
Swirling around outside our house


We can’t afford another layer
Of high-support glass
And so the second thinner layer
Will have to do
In addition to the tin foil
I duct-taped over the second layer

The noise of red dust whipping up
Is so loud
I can’t hear myself reciting the names
Of the children
We’re never going to have


When she gets home
From her talk
She'll find I’ve written the names
Of strangers
All over the walls
And on windows
And on the floor
And she'll tell me I'm acting out
And I'll tell her I’m not a child
And she'll tell me to stop acting like one
And I'll call her a bitch
And she'll slap me
And I'll slap her back
And then we'll make love
Because what the hell else
Are we supposed to do?


They’re opening up a storage facility
Less than a hundred yards from our house
And they’re going to keep some kind
Of rocket fuel gasoline something waste there


I tell her that I don’t feel well
I tell her about the blood
In my mouth
In my underwear
That my hair is falling out
That I cough more than I don’t cough
That my lungs are on fire


She tells me she’ll get me an appointment
With the new young doctor
We’re going to get in six weeks

The one that almost died in hyper sleep
But didn't
Because luck, I guess?

Six weeks


I tell her I could be dead in six weeks
And she tells me not to be dramatic


I piss bloody piss
Right on the carpet
So that when she comes home
From another fucking talk
She’ll find it there
And wonder what the hell is going on


That’s all I want
That’s all I really want


I just want her to wonder
What the hell is going on


Red sand keeps piling up
In the guest room
And we don’t know why


We’ve covered every inch of every room
With plastic and duct tape and pieces of wood
We nail into walls and into the ceiling
And wherever we think
The sand might be coming in
And it still
Comes
In


I lick the tips of my fingers
And dip them in the red dust
Covering our guest room

It turns all chalky
Even though she tells me
That’s not how it should happen


She quotes science at me
And I stick my dust-covered fingers
Into her neck


She yells
She barks
She hits me so hard
I fall down and laugh
I laugh at how hard she can hit me


While I’m on the ground
She gets dressed
She puts on a suit
The color of fresh sunburn
And I write names
On the ground
Of all the people
I should have left her for


Most of them thousands of miles away
On a planet
I’ll never seen again


I cough
I hear her pop open her pill bottle
And take something
For the migraines she gets
Whenever she has to pretend
To be happy


A comet that isn’t a comet
Strikes the surface about a mile away
And I wonder what it broke


I wonder if it broke anything
That couldn’t afford
To be broken

No comments:

Post a Comment