Saturday, April 25, 2009

After the Divorce

-- Child of divorce, can you tell? --

I want the salt and pepper shakers
The steel ones that could kill a person
Those are coming with me
After the divorce

I want the ceramic monkey
The one you gave me
On our fifth anniversary
Rather than something of value
That's coming with me
After the divorce

I want the naked photos of me
Obviously

I want the framed crossword puzzle
The completed New York Times crossword puzzle
The biggest accomplishment of my life
To counteract the biggest failure of my life
That's coming with me
After the divorce

I want the television
Not because I actually want it
Moreso because
I don't want YOU to have it

I want all photos of your father
So that I can burn them
On a pyre
Along with my wedding ring
Which is so poorly made
I bet it'll evaporate
As soon as it touches any heat
Greater than my natural finger warmth

I want every book I ever bought you
Since you never read any of them
And you won't read them once I'm gone
So I might as well take them with me
And educate myself
Before death takes me

I want to meet a man
A stupid, beautiful man
And I want to learn to rhumba
And I want to rhumba with him
The gorgeous idiot
And I want to take photos
And send them to you
I want to have fun again
After the divorce

I want to eat fast food
I want to eat all the things
I couldn't eat
Because you had to be on
A special diet
Where the only acceptable meals
Are rice and fish
Or fish and rice
Or rice
Or fish
Or water

I ate like that for years
But I don't have to eat like that
Anymore

I can take up drinking again
I can watch what I want on television
I can wear outfits that show off my body
I can get married again
And it can work
Next time

Isn't that amazing?
There's a next time
There IS a next time
And if there isn't
I'll never know

Isn't that wonderful?

I want to love somebody
I wanted to love you
But I don't think I ever actually did
That's unfortunate
But what's even more unfortunate
Is that I think you actually did love me

And I did more for you without love
Than you did for me with it

I don't want that to happen again
After the divorce

I want to get dogs
I want to have fish
I want to own all the animals
I couldn't own
Because you were allergic

I want to go to stupid movies
I want to be a good friend again
I want to travel
And I want to go far

I'll admit
It wasn't much of a marriage
But honey
It's going to be one hell of a good divorce

No comments:

Post a Comment