Friday, April 24, 2009

Drive By Donna's

-- Here's an idea. Take something you're ashamed about having done in the past, and turn it into a monologue done by some Italian guy named Mikey. --

"Drive By Donna's"

Hey
Do me a favor
Drive by Donna's
Tonight
Before you go home

I can't do it
I can't do it anymore
It's no good for me
So you gotta do it
Just make sure she's okay

Make sure her lights are off
It's almost three
She should be asleep
And if there's a jeep in the guest spot
Next to her car
Call me so I can go over there
And bust that fucker's windshield
Unless it's a blue jeep
That's her brother's
And sometimes he crashes on her couch

If she should happen to be awake
Watching late nite tv
Then snap a photo of her for me
Just use your camera phone
If she's all alone and crying
Trying not to miss me too much
Miss me like I miss her
I miss her so much
To see her one more time
God, she used to look fine in that black--

Never mind

If she's awake
Because she can't take
Sleeping alone
I need to own a photo
That shows it's so

I know it sounds crazy
I know I'm not healing
Feeling all these things
Making my boys go check on my girl
When there's a thousand others like her
Out in the world waiting to be found
Waiting to curl next to me
Be loyal to a fuck-up
Who fucks up like it's his career
But I don't want to hear that
I just want you
To drive by Donna's

Okay?

Drive by and make sure she's safe
Drive by and throw her a kiss from me
Drive by and be the lameass ex
That's really just me

Because if I go I'll park across the street
Needing to feel near to her
Wondering how I got so far
Far away from where I started
With a good woman
And a good life
And the knife'll go deeper in my heart
So deep I can't pull it out
And I might end up shouting for her
To come down and take me back...

...Again

So just do me a favor
And drive by Donna's
Drive by her place
While I stay here
Drink lousy beer and play pool
Staying cool while my head wishes
It was sitting next to hers
On that stupid frilly pillow set

See if there's a light on
See if she's keeping a light on
For me
Or if she's asleep
And then tell me

I shouldn't
But I need to
So I'm asking you to
Okay?

Just do me this favor
Just drive by once or twice
Be a nice friend
And that'll be the end of that
I promise

I'll keep a promise to you
That I can't keep to myself
Because you'll hold me to it
If I know you

Now hurry up
It's almost three
Go be the man
I thought I'd never be

No comments:

Post a Comment