Saturday, April 11, 2009

Bless This Break-Up

Bless this break-up

Bless the broken things
That I threw at his head
Which shattered into shards
On the hardwood floors

Bless the pets
We didn't buy
That we looked at in stores
Please put them in better homes
Than the one we would have given them

Bless his cologne
May it not dissipate completely
Until I have moved past
Needing to smell him
On my pillow
To go to sleep at night

Bless his family
Who loved me
Like I was one of their own
Though the reason their grown son
Acts the way he does
Is because they spoil him so

Bless the robe
That wraps around me
When I don't have the strength
To put on anything else

Bless mindless television
Bless endless distraction
Bless boundless grief
Bless the loss

It has reminded me
That I am not immune
To progress

Bless the absence of sex
It has taught me
To be aware
That my body has needs
I was not aware of
Until now

Bless the grocery store cashier
Who checked out my breasts
Four times
While he was checking out
My yogurt

Bless my mother
Who calls everyday
To nag at me
About my hair
And what I'm doing with myself
And when I'm going to start dating again

Bless this insane woman
Who drives me crazy
So that I may yell at her
Thereby releasing my frustation

Bless my guy friends
Who call me beautiful
When I haven't shaved my legs
And I feel the pounds coming on

Bless my girl friends
Who drink wine with me
Who whine with me
Who dine me at fancy restaurants
And won't even let me see the check

Bless Saturday Night Live
Bless reruns of 'I Love Lucy'
Bless Oprah, on certain days
Bless Stevie Knicks, every day

Bless me
Bless him
Bless us

Because we're both broken
Even if one of us
Has ceased looking for the pieces
Because it's either pointless
Or too painful
Either way
Bless us

Bless the man I started with
Wherever he may be
Let him find his way back
To the man I ended with

Bless hindsight
May I have much of it
Bless humor
May I have more of it
Bless happiness
May I know
That it is
At least
Possible

Bless this break-up
For a blessing is something
That should be needed

Not a well-prepared meal
Not a wedding
Not a walk on the beach

Those things
Are already
Inherently
Bless

No

Bless this thing

This thing
That is so hard
That is so raw
That is so damaged

Bless it
And in doing so
Say that it is necessary
But it will be also
Go away
One day

Bless this break-up
Take this storm
And calm it

No comments:

Post a Comment