Saturday, April 18, 2009

We're Not Going to Sleep

We're not going to sleep
We're going to discuss
The philosophies we've both accrued
Delude ourselves
Into thinking we're in love
Shove each other into bed
Turning on our heads
Laughing at our hesitation
As temptation turns itself over
To the reactions we get
From giving ourselves over
To instant satisfaction
A gratification
All-expenses paid
Vacation

We're not going to sleep
We're going to watch television
Envisioning ourselves
Forty years from now
With great-grandkids
And kids beyond that
Sure of the fact
That we're not going to die
But rather learn to fly
Emerge with wings
And tails and things like that
Flattening ourselves against each other
Smothering our laughter into pillows
As Willow plays on the screen
And the line between awake and dreaming
Becomes more hard to discern
And I don't hear a drop of concern in your voice
When you ask me if I want to leave
As if I have a choice

We're not going to sleep
Even when it's four am
And the repeats air again
On the black and white
That we stayed up all night watching
Rewatching old movies
With Spencer and Kate
Dating ourselves without fear
Cause we're young and sincere
Careers moving onward and upward
Towards God-knows-what
But feeling that the door we've opened
Won't shut now that we found each other
One another's doorstop

God, don't stop

Keep going

I'm falling
I'm falling asleep

Keep touching me

Telling me

You'll be here
When I wake up

Because if there's a chance
Even a chance
That this dance will end
When the music stops
In the morning
Instead of continuing on
To the song in my head
Then I won't go to bed
And I won't go to sleep
And I'll keep my eyes open
And on you
Until you drift off first

Or we both can
We both can stay up
Holding each other
With intense glares
Staring contests
And arm wrestling
Just until we trust
That neither one
Is going to leave

We can try to relax
And softly leap
Or we can simply promise
That we're not going to sleep

No comments:

Post a Comment