Saturday, August 7, 2010

Human

Dad, I'm human
Dad, I figured it out
Dad, I cut myself
Dad, I felt it
Dad, I felt pain

Today there was pain
Today I was born
Today I got cut
Today I cut myself
Today I felt less than

What I think you feel

Am I human?

Am I?

Can I die?

When will I die?

Will I die before you do?

Can you tell me?

Dad, are you God?
Dad, are you perfect?
Dad, are you human?

I don't think you are

I saw you up on that mountaintop
I saw you looking down on me
I saw that look of disappointment
When I started to bleed

Dad, why am I human if you're not?
Why am I hurting if you're not?

Does looking at your son
Knowing he's in pain
Do anything to you at all?

Can you empathize?
Can you sympathize?
Can you realize that this all fucked up?

Do I disgust you now?
And have I let you down?

Dad, am I your son anymore?

When uncle stirs the seas
And uncle flames the fires
And auntie keeps the home
And sister rides her chariot
Does none of that count
Towards me?

Was Mama mortal too?

I guess I'm not like you

But I hoped I would be...

. . . . .

I thought I'd have forever
To make a good life

I thought I'd live forever
Like you have

I thought I'd know what it's like
To create a bolt of lighting
Or make a river run the other way
Or see the day begin
From above it

I thought with enough time
I'd do something so marvelous
You'd look at it
And feel proud

But now I know
There won't be enough time

Maybe there would never have been enough time

Even with an endless supply

I'm human, aren't I?

Why didn't you tell me, Dad?

Why didn't you tell me
Before I had to bleed?

No comments:

Post a Comment