Sunday, August 15, 2010

Play Signed, Sealed, Delivered

They're going to shut the electricity off

We have about two hours
Before we are going to be sitting
In a house of darkness

A house we will probably not be living in much longer
Because the mortgage hasn't been paid
And will not be paid
Anytime soon

The phone's been shut off
The food supply is running low
The kids are in the next room
Trying not to cry

So you know what I say we do?

Play signed, sealed, delivered

Because before they turn the lights off
I want to dance around this house
Like happy people would

Because I can still dance
Because I can still walk
Because I can still laugh
If I force myself to

Because even though I can't get a job
I can still get myself up out of this chair
And end this little pity party
And act like everything's fine
Just like the rest of the world is

I can still take my wife in my arms
And feel her in those arms
And know she's healthy
And strong
And tough
And that means we'll get through this

I can still get the kids
And make them scrambled eggs
And convince them they'll be fine
Because they will be
Because they got two parents
Who love them
And that's two more parents
Than most kids have

And that's two more healthy, happy kids
That most parents have

And even though we're not lucky
We're all still in love
And as long as we are
And as long as we have two hours left
I'm going to play Stevie Wonder
And drag the last bits of joy
Out of this house
And decorate the kitchen with it

So go put 'Signed, Sealed, Delivered' on
While I find something to burn in the fireplace
To keep us warm

Hey, we haven't opened this box yet
That came in the mail today

It's from some guy named Gabriel

Let me crack it open
Maybe it's something
We could use

No comments:

Post a Comment