Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Persephone

That man stole her away
Let me be clear about that
Let me be crystal clear

Spike, I call him

That ain't his name
But that's what he is

A spike in my ass

Daffi, honey, get your momma a cup of coffee, all right?

Momma's talking
To these nice people

Yeah, he came around and grabbed her

Sure as if he was a kidnapper

I don't care that she was sixteen
And sixteen is legal

You know why sixteen is legal?

Sixteen is legal
Because men make laws
And men want to fuck sixteen-year-old girls

That's why sixteen is legal

Otherwise thirty would be legal

If mothers made the laws
Thirty would be legal
And cutting off the dick
Of a guy named Spike
Who gets your daughter
To jump out her bedroom window
In the middle of the night
Would be entirely within the law

Nikos, you better not be fucking around
With your sister!

Beats the shit out of her

Gonna have to bail that one out
Before he hits high school

Just like his damn fucking daddy

Excuse my language

Daffi, where's my coffee?

Honey, momma asked you, didn't she?

Maybe you don't need to be watching television
Tonight when your show's on!

She's not a good girl like my Persephone was

Before Spike rolled up
In that shitbox
He called a Honda

Now she's living inside the junkyard
Not OUTSIDE it, mind you
But inside it

Because Spike's Daddy lives OUTSIDE it
And Spike--I'll say this for him
He wasn't dumb enough to let my daughter
And his horndog Daddy
Live in the same house together

So instead he built them a little shack
Right inside it
Near the flat tire pile

I tried to go visit her once
But you gotta take the ferry
And it's expensive
And I still got three kids here, don't I?

Abas, you better not be fucking around in basement!

She keeps trying on her sister's clothes
And I keep telling her
Dressing up like she did
Was what got Persephone in trouble

Nice long flowing dresses
Makes a man want to swim in you
And that's just what Spike did
He swam right up her river
And took her over his

And now even if you take the ferry
You can't get in the junkyard
Because they got that mutated dog
That was born with three faces
Guarding the damn place

I remember when they had that dog in the paper
How bad I felt for it

Didn't know one day it was going to be keeping me
From visiting my daughter

Her ballerina outfit is down there too

She used to like to dance
Used to dance all around the house
And out in the backyard

Sometimes I'd yell at her
And slap her upside the head
But sometimes I'd dance with her

It all depended on how many shifts
I'd worked that day

Too bad I can't remember us dancing together now
I just remember all the times we didn't

Only time I can see her now is in the summertime
Because the junkyard starts to smell to high heaven
And so Spike likes to go visit his Mom in Tridona
Cause she lives by the lake
And Persephone comes here
And we sit at the kitchen table
Talking like we're grown-ups
Even though she's still a baby

Nikos, I hear my purse being opened
And if I don't hear it being shut
I'm going to prick your fingers again
With my sewing needle!

Boys are such fucking trouble
You know that?

I feel bad for my girls

Little Daffi's so damn stupid
She's probably going to wind up
With someone worse than Spike
Probably his Daddy

At least she'll get to live
OUTSIDE the junkyard

Meanwhile I'm gonna wind up here by myself

With nobody to visit
And nobody left to raise
And a pot of stale coffee
Cause that's just how life is

. . . . .

Sometimes when she visits
I can see how unhappy she is
And sometimes I think maybe
She's getting used to it

The last time she came
We sat out in the yard

The weeds are growing up
Taller than the kids

Nikos can't cut 'em down
His allergies act up

So instead I just let 'em grow

Maybe one day they'll cover the whole house
And then I can die in here
Like a civilized person would

Persephone saw those weeds
And she started dancing in 'em

It was something

My little girl
My little ballerina

Dancing around in the weeds

Like they were something else entirely

No comments:

Post a Comment