Saturday, March 30, 2019

A Forty-Seven Minute Joke That Isn't a Joke At All

I don’t really have a punchline

I have a long, long story
That just kind of
Ends

And when I tell the story
People look at me like--

And then?

And I’m like--

Yeah, that’s it

And because the story
Takes forty-seven minutes to tell
They get so angry

I don’t know if they’d get as angry
If it was, like, a forty-five minute story
Or a forty-three minute story
But I do know that forty-seven minutes
With no punchline
And they are fit to be tied

Everyone keeps telling me
What a bad comedian I am
And I’m like--

Who said I was a comedian?

And they’re like--

Well, you’re up there
Telling jokes

And I’m like--

I don’t know if you’d call
These jokes

A forty-seven minute story
With absolutely nothing funny about it
Is hardly a joke

And they’re like--

Well, what are you doing up there?

And I’m like--

There’s a microphone
People are listening
I’m talking
I’m telling a story
Something that happened to me

And they’re like--

This isn’t a storytelling night
It’s a night of comedy

And I’m like--

Well I guess it’s funny
I wound up here
With a forty-seven minute story
And no jokes to tell

But usually they disagree
They do not find that funny
Not at all, and um--

It’s probably true
That I could find a better, um,
Forum
For my story
But, um, you know
Sometimes you have to seize
The forum
That’s given to you

I walked by a bar
I saw a microphone
I saw a stage
I saw people listening
And I got up there

And, um, there’s no message in that
Like, no moral or anything
It’s just what happened

But, you know, people get so occupied
With why something happened
And, like, so often?

We forget
That things just happen
And there’s really no reason for them

And, it’s like, if you just listen
Or watch
Or whatever
And experience a thing happening
Without it
Needing to mean something
It’s just--

I mean, I just find it to be
A much better way
Of, uh, you know
Going through life

Not always, like,
Tearing your hair out
Trying to figure out
Why some guy
Is going on and on
For forty-seven minutes
And then just abruptly stops
And looks at you like--

Yeah, that’s it
Any questions?

And, like, whether or not
You do have any questions
It’s like--

Forty-seven minutes
Isn’t that long a time
Provided you don’t have, like,
A terminal illness or something

So why not just listen, you know?

That’s how life should be
I think

I can’t say it’s always funny
But, uh

Yeah

No comments:

Post a Comment