Sunday, March 3, 2019

The Secretary

I had to say something
When I read that article--

I don’t know who wrote it

--I read that article saying

Well, who arranged the meetings?
Who set this all up?
Somebody must have--

Yeah, somebody did
A lot of people did

I was--

I was one of the people

I would get the numbers
From the girls
And I would set up the, uh, appointments

And I did, uh, have an idea
Of what was going on
And yes, I still came in
I still made the appointments

I still did my job

Because I needed a job

So if the insinuation is
That all of us--

The people who took part
In helping this, uh, this horrible person
Help these other people, uh--

If what people are suggesting
Is that we’re as bad as he is
And that we should be punished too
That we should--

That now there needs to be
This search party
That pulls the problems out
By the roots
And sends dozens of people
To the gallows or something
As some kind of warning
To anybody in the future
That doesn’t quit their job
As soon as they find out
They’re working for a monster well--

I should point out
That Mr. Field
Who was my boss
He’s dead

He’s dead
And he set up a lot of that stuff
So, uh, well--

You’re not going to get him

You’re not going to get
All the people who got to live in mansions
Because of what they were willing to do

The people who did the recruiting
Not just scheduling appointments

Meanwhile me and my kid
Were living in an apartment
In the Valley
Having Chinese take-out
Every night

Just making a living
Just trying to get by

But sure
Put me away

I’m part of the problem, right?

I’m a cog in the machine

I need to be punished
To warn some other poor secretary
To build up her integrity
And go hungry
And let her kid go hungry
Until she finds one of the six bosses in America
Who aren’t total psychopaths

Because you can get me, right?

You know who I am

But you’re not going to get
The hundred other women
Who would have replaced me
If I would have quit

And you’re not going to get
The millions of people
Who bought tickets
To that asshole’s movies

Who kept him in business

The system wasn’t created
By secretaries

And it wasn’t kept going
By secretaries

So sure, let’s start the trials

Let’s send out subpoenas
Let’s round up all the usual suspects
In vans and buses
And haul them in front of the public tribunal
So we can all feel better about ourselves

Go right ahead

But just make sure

You get everybody

No comments:

Post a Comment