Thursday, March 14, 2019

The Value in Caring

So for awhile
It was really dark

It was a dark situation

Because nobody wanted to reboot
Amanda’s Heart
Even with all the other reboots going on
And I just thought--

Ugh

Like, I am going to be Amanda
From Amanda’s Heart
For the rest of my life
And, like, with each passing year
Nobody even remembers the show

Then one day
I tweet about climate change
And, uh, I guess it must have been
A slow news day
Because there was an article
All about how
I’m a celebrity who feels passionately
About climate change

And, um, I do feel, uh
Well, I wouldn’t have said ‘passionately’
At the time

Now I do, obviously

You know what?

I don’t even think I tweeted about it
I think it was a retweet
Of something
Somebody else said

But um--

I noticed
That my Twitter
Like, exploded

I mean, I don’t think
I’d ever gotten
That many likes
And retweets
And my follower count
Went up--by, like, a lot

So, I mean, I did what--

Um, what I think anybody would do

I sort of--went with that
And, uh, started tweeting more
About climate change
And people really responded to it
And it just sort of became my thing

And, uh, to be honest
I wish I had, like, stumbled into something
A little bit easier, because oh my god--

There’s a lot to know
About climate change

And I really didn’t know any of it
Going into all this

Like, there’s a lot of science
And the science is always changing
And I keep reading articles about it
But there’s all this information
About tides and stuff
And that is just like--

I mean, it’s like Greek to me
Like I can’t understand it at all
It’s like a dead language, you know?

But I have to
Because now that’s my thing
And, so, like now I’m an advocate
And I have to be, uh, informed

Plus, I keep getting
All these invitations
To appear on shows
Like, talking about climate change

And all I can think is--

Oh my god
Nobody’s asked me to be on a tv show
In, like, years

But I can’t go on one
If I don’t know what I’m talking about

...I mean, I can, but--

It just seems like
I’d really be taking a risk there

Unless I knew what they were going to ask me
And I could look up the answers ahead of time
But if not
I just don’t think it’s a good idea

But the, the, the people suggesting
That, like, this is all dishonest of me

That, like, I don’t really care?

Trust me
I care

I care a lot

I just didn’t know
How much I cared
Until other people told me
How much I cared
But that doesn’t mean
I don’t care

Sometimes you have no idea
How much something means to you
Until you see the value in it

The value in caring

Isn’t that amazing?

I find it really inspirational
To tell you the truth

I just think
That sort of backwards fall
Into, like, actively championing something
Is, like, truly

Amazing

No comments:

Post a Comment