Wednesday, March 27, 2019

What the Obituary Says

The obituary says
I lived on Dale Street

I never lived on Dale Street
I don’t even know--

Where’s Dale Street?

Does anybody know?
Does anybody know where Dale Street is?

Apparently I lived there, but…

But

I don’t remember that

I don’t--

And it’s not because I’m dead

I remember other things
Important things
Things that aren’t important
Things I should have forgotten
A long time ago

Things like--

I remember the first time
My mother let me put cinnamon
In my milk
Before bed

That’s not fabricated

That’s not a, a, made-up, uh--

That’s real

And other things
Might be the victim
Of the natural habit
Of memory

I’m sure I forgot things when I was alive
And there’s no reason to think
Those things should come back to me
Just because I’m dead

Dead doesn’t mean all-knowing

We don’t know what dead means
Because none of us
Have ever been dead before

At least I haven’t

It’s like a waiting room
But one you don’t mind
Waiting in

And to me, that sounds like Purgatory
But I was brought up to believe
You wouldn’t be happy in Purgatory
And I feel just fine here, so…

The obituary said I liked golf
I played once
There are pictures of me playing
That one time
And they probably found those pictures
And thought--

Oh look, he loved to golf

Insane

How you try to piece together
Something as slippery
And magnificent as a life
With photos
And anecdotes
From people who only ever knew
A third of you
Because you only ever knew
Half of yourself

If I could have written
My own obituary--

And I imagine
Some people do, uh--

If I could have written it
I would have said something pithy
Like--

He was here and he died
And it was....

It was…

No, wait, never mind

I would have said--

He loved his mother
She gave him milk before bed
And made sure it was warm
And sometimes
There was cinnamon in it
And that was lovely

She was lovel

He was never…

He was never as lovely
As she was

But he tried

That’s what I would say

It doesn’t begin to, to, uh--

Summarize
My life
But--

It says everything

I want to say

No comments:

Post a Comment