Friday, March 15, 2019

Never Any Trouble

Oh, the kids?

They’re never any trouble

Well, they did burn
Part of the house

Oh, it’s fine

It’s fine, Justine

It’s not the nice part
It’s the old part
The one I was looking
To renovate anyway
So there’s really no harm done

Kids will be kids
And kids burn stuff down
It’s just what they do

Your brother burned down
Three post offices
Before the age of twelve
And now he’s a deacon
So you see
Everything turns out
Just the way it should

I don’t know why you’re so upset
Nobody was in the house when it burnt down
And I had just let the dog out
So really
I didn’t even break a sweat
When I saw the smoke
Coming out of the windows

I just went over to Lorraine’s house
And called the fire department

You know, that new firefight is single, Justine
And I told him how you’re new divorced

Well, I tried to tell him
He was a little busy
What with the fire and all

But once it got put out
I made sure to get his number
And I said you’d give him a call
When you got home tonight

The kids just loved
Playing on his truck
And goofing around with the hose
And stealing the truck
And driving it to the other part of town
With the sirens on

Oh, Justine, it wasn’t a big deal
Kids steal fire trucks all the time

Why, your sister Connie
Stole six or seven cars and trucks
Before she even got to junior high
And now she’s a superintendent

So you see
Everything works out
It works out just fine

And the kids really aren’t any trouble

Once the police found the firetruck
They just laughed and laughed

Well, I was laughing
So it seemed like everybody was laughing
Because, you know,
That’s just the way I view the world

One person laughs
And the world laughs with ‘em

Then when we realized
The kids had set a couple of animals
Free from the zoo
Earlier that day
Oh boy, I really went over the edge

With laughter, you understand
Not with anger
Never with anger

Kids are kids
And they’re never any trouble

You know, I used to get all worked up
About all the stuff
You and your brother and sister did
When you were kids

But now you’re out of the house
And it’s so quiet
And I just wish
I had a little bit of excitement
Back in my life

I know it might just be
Grass is greener
But I gotta say
Having little ones
Running around again
Causing all sorts of--adventures to happen
Really puts a smile on my face

They might drive you crazy, Justine
But you’ll miss the crazy
When all you’ve got
Is the quiet

Trust me on that

No, like I said
They’re not any trouble
I can promise you that

Not any

Not any at all

No comments:

Post a Comment