Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Haircuts for the Bald and Hairless

Nobody ever comes in

He thinks it’s funny
The name

I don’t

I don’t think it’s funny at all

But some people can’t resist a joke
And he’s one of them

I shouldn’t say--

I shouldn’t say nobody comes in

People poke their head
To see if we’re serious
About all this

And when they see the place empty
And us standing around with our clippers
And our empty chairs
They get all--

Everybody wants to see if something is a joke
And then when they see that it is
They get all confused

I don’t understand people

And I only work in this shop
Because my counselor says
I have to have a job
And this is the only place in town
That would hire me
After I burned down the car shop

I saw the posting
And thought it was a joke
Just like everybody else

Then when they hired me on the spot
I said--

I’ve never cut hair in my life

And he said--

We cater strictly to the bald
And hairless
So that won’t be a problem

I could have knocked him out
Right then
I was so struck by how--

How stupid that was

But he pays
And he pays well
And the checks clear
And I have no idea how

We don’t get any customers
We don’t make any money
And he doesn’t seem to care

Goes around smiling
Sweeping
Even though
There’s nothing to sweep

Jesus

My girlfriend asked me
If this was all a front
For something else
So I went looking in the back once
To see if I could find drugs or anything
But all that was back there
Was a bunch of boxes
With catalogues in them
For barbershop supplies

I get here at 9am every day

One time I was late
And he got all agitated

Like it makes a difference
If I’m late or not

But he wants me on time
So now I’m on time

We put the tv on
Usually sports
Sometimes the news

People walk by
Sometimes they laugh
We get the head pokers
Every so often
But less and less these days

One week
The week before Christmas
He went to his car
And brought us all back gifts

Nice gifts too

Brand new watches
And gift cards
To nice restaurants

One in town
And one right on the border

I said ‘Thank you’
Because I have manners
And I wished him
A Merry Christmas

After that I didn’t mind
Working here so much

It’s not your business
To know everything, you know?

Sometimes you just gotta show up
And make sure

You’re on time

No comments:

Post a Comment