Monday, March 25, 2019

Jesus and Bo

I didn’t come here
To try and get Bo
To find Jesus again

Keep Jesus
I just want
My son back

You keep struggling--

No, Margaret
Let me talk

Now, there’s nothing wrong with Jesus
And you know I’m as god-loving
As the next woman

But what’s wrong is--

You can get mixed up
On Jesus
Just like you can get mixed up
On whatever Bo’s hooked on
And that’s what’s wrong
And that’s what’s going on here

You’re trying to fix him
And get him back to church
All in one swing
And it’s not going to work Margaret

It’s just not going to work

He’s got things in him--

About him

That are tearing him up
Because he thinks
They can’t exist
In the same body
With the same soul
That you’re telling him
He has to have
If he wants to be a good person

I’m not blaming you
It’s not all you
But you have the power
To do something about all this
And all you have to do is say--

Look, God’ll forgive me
For not worrying about God
But God won’t forgive me
If I let my son go into darkness
Because he wasn’t saying
What the church wanted to hear

I just gotta know, Margaret
Why aren’t you telling all those folks
Advising you
To keep Jesus
And give you Bo?

Let ‘em have all the Jesus they want
But you only get one son
And you don’t even know
Where he is

They’re making you sit on that dusty old couch
And pray for him
When you could be out looking
When you should be out looking

How many chances you think you get
Before one day he doesn’t come home for good?

We are not put on this earth
To worry about
What it is
Other people believe

We are put here
To take care of each other
And sometimes even save each other
If we get the opportunity

Now you can worry about his soul
All you want
Once he’s home in bed
And he hears that you don’t think
He’s some kind of heathen

You don’t get any special commendation from Heaven
If you let the people you love die
Because they didn’t subscribe to your principles
Of what good living is

Your name isn’t Abraham, Margaret
Nobody’s asking you to sacrifice anything
But a bunch of people
Who have the same demons Bo does
All tucked away somewhere
So we can’t judge them for it

So you’re going to get in my car
And we’re going to go do
A few laps around town
Until we spot that boy
And if anybody calls you
To ask where you are
You tell ‘em
You’re out being a mother
And to mind their own damn business

I must have been going
To the wrong church
All these years
Because I thought
You were supposed to love first
And do everything else second

Shaming that boy
Hasn’t done a damn thing for him
So why don’t we try loving him
For a change?

Does that sound good to you?

Good

Then let’s try it

And you better pray

It works

No comments:

Post a Comment