Monday, March 11, 2019

To Keep a Name

I had to go to court
To keep my name

My maiden name
The name I was born with

I had to go to court
And defend my right
To keep it

My name

Something that was mine
Was no longer mine
Was no longer my--right

Because I got married

I was married in 1913
And by then
I was already the head
Of the New York Consumers League

I had worked with Jane Addams at Hull House
I had taught chemistry
I had attended UPenn and Columbia
And I’d studied economics and political science
And lived in Greenwich Village

I had a master’s degree
I was active in the suffrage movement
And I helped changed the labor laws in New York
All before I was married
And they wouldn’t let me keep my name

Even after everything I’d done
To make sure my name meant something

And not that it’s any of your business
But wanting to keep my name
Had nothing to do with
With not being traditional
Or a suffragist

I was protecting my husband

I didn’t want my...activities
To affect him
He was--

He was the secretary
To the Mayor of New York
At the time
And he was…

A good man

I was looking out for him
I always looked out for him

And he had a nice name
Wilson
But I went to court
And said--

I don’t want that name

I had to
That was what
They made me say

They were most likely punishing me
Making the whole situation as--

Unfortunate
As it could be

I was a very happy wife
I didn’t do much
While we were married
Aside from take care of our daughter
Our daughter Susanna
And that was all right

That was just fine with me

But then
Paul, my husband,
Became ill
And I had to get back out there
And sustain us
Because, you see,
He often needed treatment
For his--

For what he was going through

We would visit doctors
I would ask questions
They were--

Well, they were ill-equipped
To deal with the sorts of things
Paul was dealing with
At the time

He was a brilliant man
But sometimes brilliance
Has a cost

I would ask the doctors questions
And they would turn to Paul
And answer them
As if I wasn’t even in the room

When I did get them to talk to me
They would, without fail,
Take the opportunity to ask me
Why my husband and I
Had different last names
As if that had something to do with…

It would be the same for Susanna
When I would take her to doctors
She and Paul--

They had similar difficulties, and…

It was very trying
As you can imagine

When she was little
Susanna once asked me
Why she and I had separate names
And it’s a very difficult thing
To try and explain
To a child

Especially to a child
Who has--

Who is looking for comfort
And is troubled by
A variety of things that…

That…

I’m very proud
Of my professional accomplishments
And I would like to talk more about them

I only brought up
The issue of--

Of my name
Because
Well--

You mentioned people forgetting it
My name
Who I am
My legacy

And, well, that doesn’t surprise me, you see
Because
When you spend most of your life
Defending the right to keep your name
It doesn’t shock you to know
That as soon as you’re gone
The first thing they do
Is erase it

No comments:

Post a Comment