Saturday, March 16, 2019

Have You Tried the Kool-Aid?

Have you tried the Kool-Aid?

They think we don’t know
What’s in it

Our families
The people who come to visit
At the gate

They want to chalk this all up
To naivete
Or stupidity or something

It’s not that

I like the Kool-Aid
I like the way
It makes me feel

I used to be in the corporate game
Mostly financials
Lots of numbers

When I think of all the shit
I used to cram
In my head

It’s crazy to me
That people wonder
Why one day I just woke up and said--

No more

Now I feel so--

I honestly feel lighter
Is what I would say

I do say it

I say it to my family
When they come to the gate

Twice they’ve tried to kidnap me
And take me back home

They talk about brainwashing
But they don’t--

You know
They don’t know what to do about the fact
That this was all my choice

I chose this

It’s not like I used to live
Anywhere near here

I had to spend a lot of time and money
Getting here

We all did

It’s like they think this a Pied Piper situation
Or something

Like we were lured here
Away from our happy lives
By some siren call or something

I just think everybody’s definition
Of insanity is so subjective
And, uh, you know,
Nobody thought I was crazy
For working sixty-hour work weeks

Nobody thought I was nuts
When I skipped Christmas
Because we had a deal fall through in Japan
And my boss put me on a flight to Tokyo
At three am on Christmas Eve

Nobody thought I was out of my mind
When I had to see eight different doctors
Because I kept having all these medical symptoms
That I haven’t had since I’ve been here
And the whole just turned out to be
Because my life was poisoning me

But living in a hut
In the woods
With a guy who says he’s Jesus
Is crossing a line, right?

But why is that the line?

My barometer for crazy--

After years of destroying myself
And my body
In the name of corporate finance

--Is really off, let me tell you

But at least out here
I have fresh air

I have very few worries
Responsibilities

Jesus keeps saying one day
We’re all going to ‘go home’
And whenever it looks like that’s going to happen
I’ll probably hightail it
To the nearest motel
And call a cab
But in the meantime
I’m doing pretty well

People pay for retreats, you know

This one is free

And so is the Kool-Aid

I gotta tell you
I can’t stop drinking it

Never really cared for it
Before I got here
But now?

I can’t get enough of it

No comments:

Post a Comment