Monday, March 25, 2019

The Music You Make with the Whales

I was standing at the head of a ship
Whatever that’s called
And singing
While the whales rolled
Beneath me

I mean, I assumed they were there
I don’t see any reason
Why they wouldn’t be

The thing about poetic living
Is that you can’t always wait for it
To happen organically

Sometimes you have to
Create moments
Within a lifetime
In order to bring forth
The poetry in your own life

Like my cousin, Sereba
Who went to the rainforest
And waited for a poacher
To confront her
So she could challenge them
To a wrestling match
In an symbolic battle
Of nature versus capitalist invasion

Unfortunately she came down with a stomach virus
And nearly died
In a hospital
Right outside Rio

She’s much better now
And spends her purist energy
Getting local supermarkets
To stock healthier cereals

We all have to do our part

That’s what I’ve learned
On my many trips
Making music
With the whales

I truly believe that if you reach out far enough
Something will meet you
Where you are
Wherever that might be
And wherever the thing you’re reaching for...is

The surest road to success
Lies in the imagination
So, you know, if you imagine yourself
Deep in the darkest parts of the ocean
Or right up near the surface
Communicating with the sea’s most majestic creatures
It’s entirely possible to believe you are, in fact,
Doing that

When I stand on those ships
I try not to think about
The charges I put on my credit card
To finance these life-changing, uh, expeditions

I’m not the first person
To give up everything
In order to achieve a higher consciousness
And seize a better life
For themselves

One made up of things
More fulfilling
Than houses
Or cars
Or stability
Or security
Or not wondering
What that thing on your hip is
Because you can’t afford
To have a doctor
Look at it for you

I have chosen the path
Of the courageous

The journey of the brave

The, uh, the…

You know…

When water from the ocean
Hits your face
In those little sprays and mists
That happen all the time
Standing on deck, it--

It’s this constant wake-up call
It’s this--

This little voice
From the, from the--

From God, or something
Saying--

You’re here
You’re alive
You’re part of something
Greater than yourself
And it’s--

It’s hard not to feel like
That’s where you belong
And nowhere else

And that there isn’t another time
Another, uh, part of your life
Another section of it
That was better, or, or--

Or there is no better, or--

You hear a sound
A distorted sound
But a sound, and you--

You run over to the side of the ship
And there it is

The music

The music of the whales

And you open your mouth
Meeting them
Meeting them where they are

And the music
The music starts to come
From you

From a place
You never even knew

Was there

No comments:

Post a Comment