Monday, March 18, 2019

The Things I Can't Find in My Purse

Well, for one thing, my license
Forget about my license
I have no idea where my license is--ever


But I refuse to get a new one
Because I know it’s in there somewhere
I just don’t know where it is


Sometimes I dump my entire purse
Out onto a table
And then I usually find it
After a few hours of searching
But as soon as its back in the purse
There’s just no finding it


One time I got pulled over
And the officer asked for my license
And I told him it was in my purse
And something about the way I said ‘purse’
And the look on my face
Must have tipped him off
Because he let me go with a warning


I can’t find my social security card
I know that’s in there somewhere


Those sandwich cards?


Where you buy so many sandwiches
And you get a free one?


Well, I can never find the one I already filled out
So I always have to start a new one
But I’m sure if I added up all the ones
That are in my purse
I’d never have to buy another sandwich again


Same thing with haircuts


When the boys get a haircut
You run this special--it’s like a credit card
And after so many you get a free haircut
But I can never find the stupid card


And it looks like little Matty’s going to be bald eventually
Just like his father
So chances are
Those free haircuts are never going to be used


I can’t find my birth certificate
Or the kids
And I know I shouldn’t keep them in my purse
But I thought one day I might need them
And I probably will
But when I do
I won’t be able to find them
Without dumping my purse out in public
Which makes my husband cringe
But does he want to be responsible
For carrying around the entire history of our family?


Does he want to break down
And get a messenger bag
Like my brother has?


No


He wants to have a wallet


Just a wallet


Nothing but a wallet


And that means I have to worry about gum
And band-aids
And paperwork
And wet wipes
And sunscreen
And snacks
And it’s all in my purse
And I can’t find any of it


Instead I find toys my kids put in there
When I wasn’t looking


Half a loaf of bread
A copy of the Old Testament
A street map of San Diego
Never been there, by the way


Chopsticks--which is insane
I don’t know how to use them
And we never go anywhere that has them
But there they are


I can’t find my reading glasses
But I find a werewolf nose from Halloween


I can’t find my phone
But I find a yo-yo


I can’t locate my keys
But oh look!
Twenty euros
From that time I went to Spain
In college


You know who I envy?


Mary Poppins


Puts her hand in a bag
And out comes
Whatever it is
She’s looking for


I put my hand in my purse
And I’m half-expecting a rattlesnake
To clamp down on my arm


I told my husband all this
And he said--


Why don’t you just throw
Some of that stuff away?


I know


I know

One day when he needs
A yo-yo
He’s going to realize
What a ridiculous idea
That is

No comments:

Post a Comment