Friday, March 1, 2019

Days on the Bridge

They wouldn’t let me off
And now I’m stuck here
On the bridge

So far two interceptions
That turned out to be radio signals
Bouncing off our own--

It’s this problem
We keep having
And they’re not sure
When it’s going to be fixed

And do I have to fill out paperwork
Even though they know about the problem?

Yup

Forty straight minutes of that
And then a check-in
With whoever’s in the captain’s chair
While the holo-concert happens
Three floors down

These are the days on the bridge

When I signed up
I thought it was going to be
All cosmic travel
And interplanetary communications

But it’s been six years
And the last time
We talked to a foreign life form
It just a cargo ship passing by
Run by a Fenoranian
Which look just like humans
Except the nose is slightly bluish

Nothing exciting
Nothing to write home about

When Benda invited me
To the holo-concert
I was so excited
But Friday’s are tough
And the day shift
Is even worse

No idea why they scheduled
A holo-concert for 3pm
But the live version
Is happening on a planet
That doesn’t subscribe
To any real system of time
So it might just be bad luck

Joso next to me
Is doing a crossword puzzle
And pretending to monitor
A slowly moving blip
On her screen
That we all know
Is space trash

You can tell by the temperature readings
And the fact that a satellite
Sent back a blurry image of it
And it actually looks like a super-sized
Trash can

‘Could be a bomb,’ came the word
From the captain chair

We laughed
But now Joso is keeping an eye on it

That’s what we do

We keep an eye on things

Days on the bridge
Are made up of soft murmuring
And a thousand important projects
That are all going to take
Three lifetimes to complete

Sometimes I feel like
I’m part of a pack of snails
Moving the Statue of Liberty
Across the Atlantic Ocean

We’ll make it there eventually
But by the time we do
It’ll probably be our grandchildren
Doing the pushing

A message comes in
From Sector 8
Letting us know
That a small fire’s been put out
Nowhere near the engine room
And nobody was hurt

This ship is so big
Whole problems arrive
And are vanquished
Before anybody
Even knows about them

I think about sending a communication home
But if I get caught
I’ll get...a stern talking to

The lack of risk
Eliminates any enthusiasm
For the indiscretion

Someone walks into the bridge
An intern

I forgot we ordered coffee

As the doors open
And close
Behind him
I think I can hear the music
Coming from the holo-concert
But no, that’s impossible

Then the blip on Joso’s screen turns red
And the lights on my screen flash
And I try not to smile
As the bridge
Begins
To shake

No comments:

Post a Comment