Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Discounts

There’s a discount
On the canned peas

And no discount
On the frozen

Get the frozen
We’re not doing discounts

Not today

Load up the cart
With chips

The good ones
Not the store brand

The name brand

Get the Lays
Get the Pringles
Get the ones with sea salt
And cracked pepper
And all those spices
I can’t believe
They put on chips
In the first place

Buy the Italian ice cream
The one with the labels
That have hieroglyphics on them
Even though those are Egyptian
And the ice cream’s Italian

Who knows why that is

Rich things and rich people
And being rich
Are all mysterious things to me

But we gotta learn fast, right?

We gotta learn quick

You know what?

Let’s get the fresh vegetables

Not even the frozen
Sure as hell not the canned
All fresh

All the stuff
That’s going to spoil

Only things
That are gonna
Go bad

Let’s get blueberries
Let’s get pomegranates
Let’s get fruit
We’ve never even heard of

Put cereal in there
The one with the cartoons on it
And the free toys

Do they still come with
Free toys?

Never mind
I’ll buy you toys

I’ll buy you whatever you want

The money’s coming
From a lawyer
And the lawyer says
That the best thing
That ever happened
To your old man
Was that car slapping me
To the sidewalk

A limp and a broken arm is nothing
When you realize
You get to eat foreign cheeses
For the rest of your life

That there are words
You never have to say again

Words like coupons
And sales
And clearance
And damaged
And dented
And marked down
And discounts

I never want to hear the word
Discounts
Again

Get spices
Get whole-grain
Get healthy
Get hearty
Get bone broth
Get six kinds of rice
And ribeye
And filet

You get whatever you want
Because the first thing I wanted
When I heard
We weren’t going to have to struggle anymore
Was a good meal

I want to eat and eat and eat
And I never want to worry
About where my next meal is coming from
Or whether or not I can afford it

So you get
Whatever you wanna get
And if you run out of room
That’s okay

That’s okay
That’s okay
That’s okay

Because we can always get
Another cart

From now on
There’s always going to be room
For things

We can’t afford

No comments:

Post a Comment