Saturday, April 27, 2019

A New Kind of Luck

Nikki’s from North Fasta
Where there’s gas stations everywhere
And not much else

She works at one of ‘em
The gas stations
And not one of the nicer ones

I used to hang out there
On Saturday mornings
After I dropped my mom off at the hospital

Right before summer
Some people get spring
But around here, it’s just winter til it’s hot

When it would get like that
I’d hang around the gas station for an hour or so
Looking at candy and talking to Nikki

She’d show up at 6am
And leave around two
But I never knew where she went after that

I only knew her name
Because her mom and my mom were friends
And when we were little we’d play together sometimes

Everything else I heard
Because Nikki liked to talk
To whoever there was to talk to

I’d buy a bag of twizzlers
And she’d let me know
They were shutting her electricity off that night

‘I don’t know if I’m a month behind or two’
She’d reach into the bag I just bought and borrow some licorice
‘I’m not good at keeping track of things’

Saturday nights I’d be at El Dorado
Getting my ass grabbed my steak lovers
And scraping baked potato off sriracha red plates
Mom and I were sharing a car
A house, two dogs
And a passive resentment at my dad

He died two days before I finished high school
Heart attack
But it always felt like he just up and left

The neighborhood where we lived
Was about a mile west of North Fasta
More fast food places, less gas stations

I was thinking about getting a job at the Taco Bell
Just to keep myself busy
And maybe buy myself a new phone

Nikki was looking at my old phone one day
And told me it looked like a gag gift
Hers got broken when she threw it at a customer

It wasn’t easy to figure out
What it was about her that interested me so much
But it might have been that she always looked like she had somewhere to go

That was never me
I never looked like I had anywhere to go
Or anything taking up my time

My Mom was my main concern
Even though she was only forty-three
And way tougher than I was

A lot of single mothers with their kids
Around where we lived
Even Nikki had a kid, but she didn’t talk about him much

One Saturday she asked me to smoke with her out back
So we hung out by the dumpster
And talked about kids and how weird they are

‘Mine doesn’t look like his daddy or me’
She flicked the ash
‘Looks like my father, if anything’

Somebody was having a barbecue
And I realized that this was not how most people
Spent their Saturday afternoons when the weather gets nice

‘Some people bullshit and say they’re not going to be here forever’
Nikki would sometimes just offer stuff up with nothing around it
‘I’m not like that.  I think you’d better get used to where you are.’

My mom got promoted at the hospital about a year after that
And we got a duplex in Hadenville
Nicer than any place I ever thought I’d live

Some people have the same luck their whole lives
And some people get a new kind of luck
But none of us are dead, so everybody’s a little bit lucky

Last week I drove by the gas station
Where Nikki used to work
But I had a feeling she wasn’t there anymore

I saw online that she moved in with some guy
And that her kid was living with his dad
But nobody seemed mad at anybody about it

Nikki was a receptionist now
And there was a picture of her online
All done up at a desk in a doctor’s office

I was happy some new luck
Found Nikki too
Although I felt bad about whatever was going on with her kid

My Mom says I think too much about people
And that’s why I’m always going to be sad
Always going to get caught up in their troubles

‘Your father was the same way’
And she says it like I’m going to go the way he did
‘Always got tears for someone else’s eyes’

People have a hard time
Feeling bad for themselves
So I guess that’s why other people have to do it for them

Everybody’s got to give something
To somebody else
Whether you got it to give or not

No comments:

Post a Comment