Monday, April 1, 2019

Sunday Season

It’s just a Sunday season

And it’s going to be that way
For awhile

For a few months at least
But it won’t feel that way

It won’t feel like a few months
Once it’s over

Once it’s over
It’ll feel like the blink of an eye

I’m out on the porch on Monday’s
Tuesday’s
Every night of the week
Just enjoying the fact
That I’m a damn adult
Who is not a teacher
So I don’t even have to think about the fact
That it’s a school night

But it still feels like a Sunday

And teachers are heroes

But there’s something about the dry
Delayed feeling
Of every single night
Once the weather gets warm
That I just can’t enough of

That thing where it’s not summer
But it’s not winter
And it’s not spring
Because spring doesn’t exist anymore
Because of the rising global temperature
But it’s something like
What we used to call spring

Now I just call it Sunday season

There’s a little anxiety
About having to get up
The next day
But it’s a--

Can pleasurable anxiety be a thing?
Because if it is
That’s what it is

I leave the front door open
And I sit on the porch
And I drink a little
And I say ‘Oh, it’s not dark yet’
And then it gets dark
And then I go inside

I’m better in the cold weather
Much better
I’m a cold weather
Sort of person
But you can’t really be mad
At sunshine
And a little heat, can you?

The thing about Sunday season is
When there’s a Sunday
During Sunday season
It is the most Sunday Sunday
And it is unbearable

It’s the purest flame
Held up to the softest palm
Crackling and flickering

One day I’m going to shut myself
Inside the house
And when Sunday season comes around
It won’t matter
Because I won’t even remember
What Sunday feels like
Compared to--

Compared to whatever else
There is to feel

I’ll black out the curtains
And turn on old music
Classical music
Or girl pop
Or Latin jazz
And I’ll just forget whatever’s going on
Anywhere but two feet
In front of me

I’m too affected, you know
That’s the problem

I’m too--

It’s not seasonal depression
But it’s something like it

I sit on the porch
And I can feel the world
Wanting me
To get up and do something
And I don’t want to

I mean, I am really
Not interested in that

But it’s hard to argue
When the rotation of the planet
Is just pushing you
Around and around
Towards something
That makes you feel
Like a human being again

Because it’s going to take a lot

It’s going to take
A lot more
Than your average changing
Of the weather gods

It’s going to take...something

To make this all feel
Like something else

Entirely

No comments:

Post a Comment