Monday, April 15, 2019

Tearin' Up My Heart

I learned the dance
From ‘Tearin’ Up My Heart’
With four other kids
On my bus

We were always the last four
To get dropped off
And there was a good ten minutes
Between the second-to-last stop
And our stop
So we had a decent amount of time
To devote to choreography

Like pretty much everything else
That happened in junior high
I have no idea
How this all came about

I just remember one day
The five of us
Were in the back of the bus
And ‘Tearin’ Up My Heart’ came on
And one of us said ‘I know how to do this move’
And another one said ‘I know that move AND this move’
And the next thing you know
We were assigning parts
And learning harmonies

If the bus driver cared
She never said anything
As we were attempting to recreate
A full-blown music video
In the back of a swiftly moving school bus

Fun Fact--

If you can dance like N’Sync
In the back of a moving bus
You can dance just about anywhere

To this day
I bust out those moves
At a wedding
And people stare at me
Like I’m shooting fire
Out of my eyes

It’s just muscle memory
Although my actual memory
Is shot to shit

I couldn’t even tell you
The names of those other four kids
Although I remember that one of them
Was on the hockey team
With my older brother
And another one had this weird ear
That we never talked about

As soon as the bus
Pulled up to our stop
We would just get off
And it would be like
The whole thing--

The whole learning-the-dance thing
Never happened

Like we were in training
For some secret mission
And the bus was the secured training room
Or something

As soon as we stepped off it
We just walked quietly
To our respective houses
And, honestly, I don’t think I ever listened
To N’Sync at any other point aside from that

I was more of a Limp Bizkit guy
And that probably tells you
Everything you need to know
About me as a thirteen-year-old

Sometime before Christmas break
My dad started picking me up from school more
So we could go visit my mom in the hospital
And then it just became this regular thing
Even when she got sent home
So I never took the bus again

I don’t know if the four other kids
Kept up with their choreography
And we didn’t see each other in school that much
Aside from passing in the hallways and whatnot

The only reason I’m even telling you this story
Is because it connects to this way better story
About how this one time--

Shit, you are never going to believe this
But I swear, it’s for real

--This one time I was at one of those weddings I was talking about

And ‘Tearin’ Up My Heart Comes On’
And I walk to the dance floor
Ready to wow the crowd
With the memory of my muscles
And I look around
And realize
There are four other people
All standing on the dance floor
Who look just like me

Like, not like me,
But ready, like I am
Like in a sort of stance

And, like, I don’t know for sure
But I’m pretty confident
It was the four kids I was on that bus with
All those years ago

We were all about the same age
One kid had a weird ear
Another one looked like that hockey player

I know it sounds impossible
But then the music started
And the five of us
All did the dance
Perfectly
And, like
People went nuts

They
Went
Nuts

It was so awesome
I think somebody filmed it
But I’ve never seen it posted anywhere so--

Right after that
They played another song
Which is kind of what they do at weddings
But, man
That moment

That one moment

It was…

It was like I had been waiting for that

My whole life

No comments:

Post a Comment