Tuesday, April 30, 2019

Baby One More Time

I don’t know what it was
But the first time I heard it
I was like--

Oh yeah
This is it
This is my thing

And I had never really
Been into any particular kind of music
Before that

I mean, I listened to music
But I wasn’t very into, like,
My band or singer or another

But then the first part of that song
Started to play
And right off the bat I was like--

She found me

Britney found me

And I don’t expect anybody
To understand it

Even I don’t understand it
But, like, I just know
In my heart
That everything good in my life
Is the direct result
Of me hearing
‘Baby One More Time’

You know, I took an art history course
When I was in college
Because I thought maybe
That was something I would like
And it turns out I did
And then art history became my major
And everybody was like--

You’ll never make any money doing that

Because art history is, like,
The major you name
When you want to give an example
Of a worthless degree, right?

Except I make boatloads
Of fucking money
So suck on that, assholes

But I was in art history class
And the professor was talking about
Stendhal’s syndrome
And right away
I knew that’s what happened
When I heard that song
For the first time

Dizziness
Rapid heartbeat
Hallucinations

An intense reaction
To a piece of art

That was me
That was me with that song

Britney Jean Spears reached into me
And adjusted
Who I was

Set me on a course
A path
That I, otherwise,
Would not have been on

Because all of a sudden
It was like--

Like I had been this shy
Quiet girl
From Louisville
Who thought, like,
Of the world in a certain way

And then I heard ‘Oh baby, baby’
And it was like--

Bitch, it can be
Any
Way
You want it to be

Your life
Your love life
Where you go to school
Who you’re friends with
Anything

Here’s a girl
Singing to a boy
Being like--

Bring it

You know what I mean?

Like not--

Aw, take me to the dance

Like--

Fuck me up, Fuqboi

And that was like--

Wow

That blew my mind

Just knocked me out
Knocked me for a loop

It’s like--

Here’s this teenage girl
The first one
I can ever remember

Looking at the world
Not just a boy, really
It was about so much more
Than just a boy

Looking at the world
And saying--

Hand it over

I just don’t know
How anybody was the same
After that

No comments:

Post a Comment