Monday, April 15, 2019

Waiting at a Red Light With No Cars Around

I just sat there
Waiting
For the light to change

For once
I wasn’t in a rush
But I couldn’t stop myself
From tapping on the brake
Letting the engine rev
Running my tongue
Over my teeth
While a piece of twisted metal
Sat in the middle of the road
Behind me

I had just skirted around it
Avoiding a blown out tire
Or something worse

What a way
To kick off the week

The road to my meeting
In Temple-Hyatt
Is infrequently traveled
A Frost kind of path
And it felt odd
Being in the middle of a Monday
With nobody else in sight

I thought about heading east
Skipping the meeting
Claiming a last-minute stomach bug
And spending the day
At that oyster place I like
By the water

But a certain amount
Of spontaneity
Seems foreign
Even to someone who like me
Who spent the bulk of their thirties
In a polyamorous relationship in Lisbon
Painting flowers on dresses
At one of the local fashion houses

Since then I’ve--how you say?

Mellowed

A little light blue house
In a decent neighborhood
That’ll never be paid off
And a car that only gives me trouble
When I least expect it

The meeting today
Is all about a new ad campaign
We have ready to roll-out
Targeted at the seventy plus crowd
America’s fastest growing demographic

My proposal is fine
But it’s certainly not going
To win me any awards

I’ve become the sort of person
Who just tiptoes through life
Trying not to set off
Any alarms

The light’s still red
When I snap out of my daydream
And I wonder if it’s broken

Part of me thinks
I should just drive on
But then an image flashes
Of an eighteen-wheeler
Coming out of nowhere
And turning my little jalopy
Into a tuna can

So I sit
And tell myself
That I don’t need to be early
To a meeting
Where words like ‘geriatric keywords”
Are going to be used
Unironically

My boss has indicated
That I might be up for a promotion soon
And that would mean travel

Maybe even to Europe
Maybe even to Lisbon

My two exes are still dating each other
And Facebook tells me
They have three kids now
And a house on the coast

Everybody winds up by the coast
Everybody except me

The light stays red
And there’s not a car in sight

I open the windows
And listen closely
To see if I can hear
Anybody approaching

Instead I hear a low whistle
Like something between
A breeze and
The beginning
Of a song

I roll my window back up
And try to relax

Sometimes you get a moment
That’s meant for nothing
But a break
And when it comes
Your only job
Is to enjoy it

So let the light change when it wants to

I don’t need to go any faster

Than I am

No comments:

Post a Comment