Monday, April 8, 2019

The Hotel Shower

The first thing I did when I got there
Was hop in the hotel shower

And I waited
For him to get there

I stayed in the shower
And part of me was like--

This is
This is a mistake, um

But I stayed in the shower
And I kept the phone nearby
On the sink
I could see it
From the shower
You know, see if it, um
Like if it lit up or whatever, um

The shower was nice
It was one of those hotel showers
That are always way cleaner
Than any shower
In any home or apartment

Like, they must bleach it
Once a day or something
Because it’s that color white
That doesn’t exist in nature

I got in the shower
And I was like--

Should I just leave?

But I had--

I lived, like, five hours away
This--
Going there
Was a big deal
And, uh--

I felt like it was an investment, you know?

But, like, an investment
In this--huge mistake

But that voice
That voice telling me
It was a mistake
It was like--

Where was that voice
When I was planning the mistake?

Like, it wasn’t doing me any good
While I was standing there in the shower
Just being like--

What if I just stay here?

Like, what if she shows up?
And I’m just in the shower
And I just--

Never get out?

And she’ll try talking to me
And I won’t answer

Maybe she’ll get in the shower with me
And I’ll just face away from her

Maybe she’ll call the police
Hotel security
A doctor
Have me committed

I just felt like--

This is already so bad
Why don’t I just
Keep making it worse?

Why don’t I just take it
To that next level
And that next level
And that next level

Until I’m in so deep
There’s no getting back out
And then maybe it’s like digging to China
Where, you know, you just wind up
Back where you started
Because, I mean, that wouldn’t be so bad

I stood in the shower
And I--this--this isn’t a metaphor
For, like, getting clean or anything

I just felt okay in there
Despite where I was
And what I was about to do
And, uh, I didn’t want to get out

Because I knew when I got out
It would be that thing
Where the cold air hits you
And just knocks you, uh
Knocks you back
Into the warm steam
Of the shower
But by then
It’s already disappearing

And you have to, um
Just commit

Just commit
To getting out

I talked about being committed, right?

Guess it’s on my mind

Guess it’s something
I’ve been thinking
A lot

About

No comments:

Post a Comment