Saturday, April 13, 2019

I'll Never Break Your Heart

The room always stayed orange
Always had an orange light to it


Or maybe that’s just
The way I remember it


I’d sit on the couch facing the window
And, uh, my mother always liked
The curtains closed
All over the house, but--


She’d go to bed around seven
With a headache
Shortly after dinner
And I’d open the curtains
And watch the Tobler’s
Dance across the street


Every night, they’d do the dishes
Then Mr. Tobler
Would go over to the stereo
And put on some music
And they’d dance


Just the two of them


Only for about a song or two
Then Mrs. Tobler would laugh
And playfully push her husband away
And that would be that


I was fourteen at the time
And I thought it was all
Very romantic


I don’t know how they never caught me
Watching them
But our house was a little bit higher
Because there was this weird bump
In the middle of the street
And of course
We lived on the bump


I’d sit there in the orange light
Not doing my homework
While the Toblers danced


One night, I wanted to know
What they were dancing to
So I went over to my stereo
And I moved the dials back and forth
Until I thought I figured it out


It was Easy on the Ears
One oh eight point seven
With Marcia Allen-McBride


And the song was ‘I’ll Never Break Your Heart’
By the Backstreet Boys


Not exactly Frank Sinatra
But I did love that song
When I was younger


The Toblers seemed so grown-up
So adult
So happy


My father was working two jobs back then
And we barely ever saw each other


My mother ordered pizza
Most nights
And when she wasn’t yelling at me
To stop doing whatever it was I was doing
She would just lay in bed
With the tv on mute
And only her head visible
Above the covers


Nothing in our house
Seemed anything like
What I saw across the side lawn
That separate our two houses


While the rec room
Where we kept our computer
And pull-out couch
Was always orange
And static
And not quite alive


The Tobler’s living room looked warm
And comforting
And ideal for domestic living


When I turned seventeen
My mother told me
That the neighbors were getting a divorce
And I didn’t ask which ones
Because I was both terrified and sure
Of who it was


My parents were still together
And something about that
Didn’t seem right


I had stopped watching the Toblers dance
Years ago
Mostly because I was never home
Once I got my learner’s permit


The rec room with its orange light
Had been turned into a second bedroom
That my father slept in


The night before I left for college
I went into that room
While my father was doing inventory
At the packing plant
And tried to see one more time
Into the Toblers house
Just a hundred feet away


But the lights were off
And it didn’t seem like
Anybody was home


Having anticipated
That this might be the case
I put my earbuds in
And played the song…


It wasn’t the same
It couldn’t be
But it felt like a way of saying good-bye
To something
I had never really introduced myself to

In the first place

No comments:

Post a Comment