Wednesday, April 24, 2019

(God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You

I had a country wedding
The first time around

My husband and I
Had to negotiate
Because he literally
Wanted us to, like,
Get married on a farm
And, like, in a barn
With horses
And you know
Farm animals

So obviously
I was not signing up
For any of that

But he was paying
For the entire thing
Or his family was
Did
I guess
So I only had so much say
Even though it was my fucking wedding
And, like,
Oh my god what a red flag
I can’t believe I didn’t just run

And it’s that thing
Where, like,
You don’t even remember
Why you liked the person?

Like, I have no idea
Why I liked him
But I’m sure I must have
Because I wasn’t a gold-digger or anything
And he was hot
So it might have just been, like, I don’t know
Pure attraction
But now I think he’s gross
Although he’s also stopped working out
So it could be that

I don’t know

He was obsessed
With this wedding

Like, if the assumption
Is that guys
Don’t really care
About their weddings

Well, I guess I found the one guy
Who was very interested

And the biggest fight we had
And I shit you not about this
The biggest fight
Was about what song
I walked down the aisle to

I wanted Never Had a Dream Come True
By S Club 7
And he wanted
Some boring ass country song
That I can’t even tell you
What it was
Because I listened to it
Exactly one time
And fell into a coma
Woke up three weeks later
And was like--

That is not going to be the song

And we fought about this
For weeks

It was ridiculous

It became this thing
Where I gave in
On every issue
Except that one
Which was maybe the point

Like maybe he manipulated me
Into focusing on one issue
So I wouldn’t have the strength
To put up a fight on, like,
Any of the other issues

I don’t know

The point is--

I won

I won the argument
Sort of
Because I didn’t get to walk down the aisle
To Never Had a Dream Come True
But
I did get to walk down
To (God Must Have Spent) A Little More Time On You
Which was okay with him
Because there’s a country version
Even though I definitely didn’t walk down the aisle
To the fucking country version
Even though I might have said I would
And then switched the tracks
At the last minute

I don’t know

We were only married for a year
Literally a year
Maybe nine months
It’s hard to remember
Thank god

I mean thank god for that

But the barn looked nice
I’ll say that at least

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a barn

Look that nice

No comments:

Post a Comment