Thursday, April 11, 2019

So No One Told You One Day You Were Going to Get Sick of Standing in This Fountain

(SIX FRIENDS stand in a fountain.  A moment passes.)


RACHEL:  Hey everybody?


ROSS:  Yeah?


RACHEL:  Why are we standing in this fountain?


PHOEBE:  Because we’re friends!


RACHEL:  Right, yeah, no, I get that, but, um, what does that
have to do with a...fountain?


(A beat.)


MONICA:  It’s just, you know, we’re quirky.  We’re quirky friends.


RACHEL:  Right, yeah, no, I get that, but, um, I’m wet?


JOEY:  Do you want to climb up on my shoulders?


RACHEL:  Not really, no.


JOEY:  Then you wouldn’t be--


RACHEL:  Yeah, I get how that would work, I’m just--


CHANDLER:  Why are we dancing?  Is there music? I don’t
hear music.


MONICA:  They said there’s music.


CHANDLER:  I know they said that, but I’m not hearing it.


MONICA:  Well--


CHANDLER:  Geez, could it be any louder?


ROSS:  Chandler--


CHANDLER:  Sorry, right--could it BE any louder?


ROSS:  The joke doesn’t really--


CHANDLER:  What?


ROSS:  It should be--Could it BE any SOFTER?


CHANDLER:  But it’s not soft.  It’s just not playing at all.


MONICA:  We should just keep dancing.


JOEY:  Should I take my shirt off?


ALL, but JOEY:  No.


JOEY:  But aren’t I supposed to be the hot one?


RACHEL:  Joey!


JOEY:  What?


RACHEL:  We’re all the hot ones.

MONICA: Should we ALL be hot?

ROSS: I'm dorky hot so--

PHOEBE:  I don’t know if I’m hot.


MONICA:  Phoebs, you’re very attractive.


PHOEBE:  But, like, comparatively, I don’t know.  I mean,
I’m pretty. I’m definitely pretty, but, like, look at Rachel.  
She’s a smokeshow.


RACHEL:  Thank you, sweetie.


MONICA:  What about me?


CHANDLER:  What about you?


MONICA:  Am I a smokeshow?


CHANDLER:  I think you are.


ROSS:  We shouldn’t be, you know, talking about this.


JOEY:  Why not?


ROSS:  Because we’re friends.


CHANDLER:  We’re not going to be friends forever.


RACHEL:  Chandler!


CHANDLER:  No, I mean, eventually, for the sake of ratings,
we’re going to have to start dating each other.


PHOEBE:  But then we won’t be friends anymore.


MONICA:  Yes, we will.  We’ll pair up, but those pairs will still
be friends with the other pairs.


ROSS:  That sounds like couples.  Like we’d be coupling.


MONICA:  We definitely wouldn’t be doing that.  That would
be very...British of us.


RACHEL:  Maybe we shouldn’t, um, yeah, no, yeah,
you know, date at all.


ROSS:  No! No, I think it would be fine if, like, two of us
dated, maybe?  But just two of us.


CHANDLER:  Well, that’s not fair.


PHOEBE:  I don’t want to date any of you.


CHANDLER:  No one cares what you want.


PHOEBE:  Hey! Watch it, I’m the only one who’s going
to be getting an Emmy.


RACHEL:  No, I’m getting one too.


JOEY:  Am I getting one?


ALL, but JOEY:  (Hysterical Laughter.)  No./Nope./Seriously?
/C’mon, Joey.


JOEY:  Fine, but I’m getting a spin-off.

CHANDLER:  Careful what you wish for, buddy.

PHOEBE: Isn't it funny how if any of us are by
ourselves, people are like, 'Eh' but if we're all
together, they get excited?

ROSS: It's like if you saw a bag of flour on
the street. You'd be like--'Oh, neat. Flour.'
But if you see a cake, you're like--'Wow.'

CHANDLER: What the hell kind of streets
are you walking down?

RACHEL:  All I want is a movie career.


MONICA:  Well, you’re kind of going to get that.


RACHEL:  What do you, um, yeah, no, yeah,
mean ‘kind of?’


MONICA:  Like, you’ll...be in movies.


RACHEL:  Will I, um, you know, yeah,
no, win an Oscar?


MONICA:  Ummmmm--


CHANDLER:  Are we all going to hysterically
laugh like did at Joey?


RACHEL:  Hey!


ROSS:  I’m probably just going to keep doing tv.


PHOEBE:  Good for you, Ross.


JOEY:  So who’s going to be the couple on the show?  
Me and Monica?


CHANDLER:  Ew, no.


JOEY:  Why ew?  It’s not like I’m her brother.


PHOEBE:  Hey, I always wanted to ask, don’t
you think it’s a little weird that Monica and Ross
are siblings?


ROSS:  Siblings can be friends.


PHOEBE:  But we talk about sleep with people
a lot.


MONICA:  So?


PHOEBE:  It’s just weird that you two are, like, always around
each other when everybody’s talking about doing it.


ROSS:  We’ve very mature.


JOEY:  Cool, so can I date Monica?


ROSS:  NO, JOEY, SHE’S MY LITTLE SISTER.  WHAT IS
WRONG WITH YOU?


CHANDLER:  Can I date her?


ROSS:  Yeah, sure.


JOEY:  Fine, I’ll date Rachel then.


ROSS:  ABSOLUTELY NOT!


JOEY:  Phoebe?


ROSS/PHOEBE:  Fine./No, thank you.


RACHEL:  Everybody, um, yeah, no, um,
can we get out of the fountain now?


MONICA:  They didn’t say we could.


RACHEL:  Who is ‘they?’


MONICA:  The people who told us to stand
in the fountain.


PHOEBE:  Are we going to get arrested?


JOEY:  Are we even in New York right now?


COURTNEY:  You all need to stop asking
so many questions.


CHANDLER:  I still don’t hear the music.


MONICA:  IT’S LIKE YOU’RE ALWAYS SOMETHING
SOMETHING GEAR!


CHANDLER:  What is that?


MONICA:  The song.  The song we’re dancing to.


PHOEBE:  I didn’t want to say anything, but I wouldn’t call
what we’re doing dancing.


RACHEL:  Are we, um, you know, yeah, no, um,
sure I’m not going to win an Oscar?


ALL, but RACHEL:  (Hysterical Laughing.)  No./
Rach, come on./Nope./Yeah, no.


RACHEL:  I shouldn’t have, you know, um, yeah, no,
asked again, huh?


PHOEBE:  Is there water in this fountain?


RACHEL:  Of course there’s water.  My feet are soaked.


MONICA:  Didn’t you step in a bucket of water before we
got in here?


RACHEL:  Ohhhhhh, right.


CHANDLER:  I guess we’ll just wait for the music to play.


JOEY:  And then we’ll wait for it to stop.


PHOEBE:  It’ll start and stop any day now.


MONICA:  Yup.


ROSS:  Do you think once this is all over we’ll wait twenty
years and then do a reunion?


(A beat.  Then HYSTERICAL LAUGHING, then--)


ALL:  Probably.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment