Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Cash, Check, or Good Advice

He offered me good advice
So I took it, Mr. Cram

I know the rules
I know about cash or check
But he offered me good advice
And I really needed it

And I need this job
But I got a girl
And she’s ready to leave

And I’ve been coming here
Checking in
Like a zombie
Standing at the register
Letting the items go by

Scan this
Look up that
Call for a manager
Call for a manager

It’s all just been a circle
Where at the end
I’m back to the beginning

And back home
I got my girl
Packing one thing a day
Saying that when she fills up a suitcase
She’ll head to her mother’s
And that’ll be the last
I ever see of her

I’ve been doing everything I could
To keep her
But nothing seems to work

Then one day
This guy walks in
And he offers me good advice
For two bags of groceries
Because he doesn’t have
Any money on him
And he even offers
To give me the advice first
See if I like it

So I listen
And wouldn’t you know
As soon as I heard it
I just knew
It was what would save
My girl and me

And I guess I could’ve still
Made him pay after that
But it didn’t seem right

It just didn’t seem right, Mr. Cram

So I let him take the items
And I’m happy to pay for them
Even though I need all the money I can get
Because I’m behind on my rent

I’ll let you take it out of my pay
For as long as you want
Until its paid up

And that won’t even make me upset
Because I’m going to get my girl back

When I get home
I’m going to use that advice
That gentleman gave me
And I know it’s going to work
And then when I get to work
I’m going to be the best employee
You’ve ever had
Because I’m going to have a reason
To be there again
Instead of just--

Well, this is so I can pay my bills
This is so I can call myself an adult
This is so they don’t shut the lights off

I’ll be here
Because I’ll have a girl
To think about
And myself too

And you’ll see a real change in me, Mr. Cram
I promise you will

No more coming in late
No more forgetting to smile
No more letting guys come in
And pay with good advice
Because I won’t need any advice

I’ll have everything I need

That guy needed a box of cereal
Two rolls of paper towel
A head of cabbage
And a pound of ground beef

To exchange that
For a lifetime’s worth of happiness
Seemed reasonable to me, Mr. Cram
But I realize
It wasn’t my stuff to trade

I just couldn’t resist

So if you want to fire me
You can fire me
And I guess I can go work
For Mr. Straw
Across the street
But I really like you, Mr. Cram
And I’d much rather stay here

It’s just hard, you know
It’s just hard to be at the bottom
And see a light shining down at you
And not reach for it

It’s just hard to be at the bottom Mr. Cram
But I’m sure you know about that

I’m sure you understand

Where I’m coming from

No comments:

Post a Comment