Wednesday, April 3, 2019

The Response

You’re going to think
It has to be done
With words

It’s the fault of your position

You’re used to giving speeches
We’ve made you give speeches
The implication is that speaking
Solves problems

It doesn’t

Not always

And in this case
Speaking
Speech
It’s a weakness

It’s something I had to convince
Your father as well

Some other head of state
Would say something against him
And his first inclination
Was to strike back
With something forceful
Or witty

And because he looked so dashing
When he was being forceful
And so charming
When he was being witty
It was hard to hold him back

But what our mother taught us both
Moreso him than me
Since he was going to be king
And I was just going to be
The sister of the king
Is that--

A response
Is often
A revealing
Of a weakness

That the strongest thing you can do
Is let the other person’s words
Fall where they may

The first few may land
With a splash

Get some attention
Stir up some whispering

But that’s a river
That has to flow both ways
For it to have any real power
And if you let it run along on its own
Eventually, you turn the other person
Into a madman crying out
And people--

They walk on

Now, I’ve read your response
And I believe it to be eloquent
And quite impressive

But it’s still a response

The nature of a response
Is to legitimize
Something that was said
Whether that be the case or not

How many statements have I read
In my time here
That started out by decrying
That something that was said
Had no relevance?

And yet how can that be said
When it merited a response?

Better to let the air
Slip slowly out of the balloon
Than to pop it

A pop draws more attention

That’s what I told your father
And that’s what I’m telling you

Now, if you’re still mad about all this
In a week’s time
By all means
Respond

But I think you’ll find
That the time it takes
For new worries
To overtake momentary slaps
Across the royal cheek
Is swift

But a response is a log in the fire

No, worse--

It’s fuel to it

I’d prefer you let it pass
And concern yourself
With things you can accomplish
And not shows of strength

Strength is in the silence
Weakness is in the response

Trust in your aunt
My dear

She knows all about
Keeping things

To herself

No comments:

Post a Comment