Saturday, April 20, 2019

Eleven Days to Change Your Mind

When you figure out
That you made a mistake

You’re only going to get
Eleven days
To change your mind

I’m walking away
And the minute my left foot
Hits the white square
On the sidewalk
The clock starts

Now, some people
Only give you six days
A few give eight

But I am one of the generous

I am benevolent

I am allowing you
A full week and a half
To realize
That you’ve done something
Truly insane

I will take small steps
Away from you
In the event that it takes
Only seconds
For you
To understand
What you’ve done

I’ll saunter slowly
Hoping that the weight of your decision
Will hit you
Like a wave hits a surfer
And that you’ll be pulled under the water
The water being me
And you drowning
Being us
Falling in love

But if that does not happen
And if you do not chase after me
And if a day passes
And then another
And then another
And finally eleven

Eleven full days
Sun-up to sundown

And you still haven’t begged me
For forgiveness

Then I’ll probably
Have to delete your number
From my phone
And only drive by your house
Unintentionally

So that’s your window

Eleven days
And then I am officially gone
And never coming back
Because I will need to find love
In someone
Who does not make me wait
A week a half
To tell me
How badly
They’ve messed up

Not that I won’t be thrilled if—

Even on the morning
Of that eleventh day

--You show up at my door
Letting me know
That it was all a big mistake
And that you would’ve been there
On day one
Had you not, I don’t know,
Fallen while chasing after me
Thereby causing you
To hit your head
And slip into a coma

I’ll still love you
And nurture you
And make sure you get to your follow-up appointments
With the neurologist

Because I’m not here to punish
I’m here to love

And I’m happy to put that love on a shelf
For eleven days--

(Maybe twelve, but don’t push it)

--While all that confusion disappears

After all, everybody makes mistakes

And I’m fine with being a mistake
Your mistake
Your biggest mistake

The mistake you took eleven days
To rectify

Time is just a construct anyway
So really
What’s the difference
If you ask me to stay with you now
Or eleven days from now
Or a year from now
Not that I’ll wait a year
Because I won’t
I mean
I have
But I won’t again
Unless you need me to
But if you don’t
Then no
I won’t

Okay, so—

I’m walking away
And that means
The eleven days
Starts now

Unless you want to tell me to stop
In which case
We don’t have to bother with all that
Okay?

Okay

So…

I’m walking

I’m walking

I’m…walking

And the chance
To make this all right again
Starts…

…Now

No comments:

Post a Comment