Saturday, April 27, 2019

Freak on a Leash

In the dark
You feel a touch

Lesson learned
Go around

A puddle lets them know
You’re careless

Like I said
Go around

The password is there’s no password
But people keep trying
To come up with one anyway

Genuflect
When you walk in

Don’t know how?
Who raised you?

Who brought you here?
Who brought you into this world?

There is no orientation
And you’re dizzy

You should have eaten first
You should always take a meal
When you can get one

Anything you left
Gets left behind

Anything you take
Is yours
And shared

We muddy the rules
Of ownership here

We don’t like possession
It rides us wrong, you know?

If you need a light
Try candlelight

It’s great for those of us
Who prefer
To be made down
Instead of up

I put on a wedding dress
The other day
But don’t let that dictate
What you see me as

I am not a long-haired
Archetype
And I do believe
In love
And fidelity

Just not
In that order

People walk for miles
To get here
And then when they do
They can’t dance

The miles
It breaks their step

Irony is the cruelest thing

Well--

Irony and fluorescent lighting

That’s why we stick
To candles

The last person we threw out said--

One day this place
Is going to burn to the ground

How romantic, I thought
I hope I’m in the wedding dress
When it happens

I’ll walk down the aisle
Towards the fire
Ready to say my vows

There’s always a person
Who, when faced with a void
Tiptoes away
But steps in the puddles
All the same

And then there are those
Who watch
Where they step

But go forward
Forward
Forward

Who aren’t afraid
Because what could be there
That hasn’t already
Hurt us?

Just when you think
You’ve heard music
That can’t get any louder
Somebody turns
The volume up

Somebody’s touching you
Do you know who it is?

Do you want to know?

Better you not

Better you not know
All sorts
Of things

No comments:

Post a Comment