Monday, April 4, 2011

An Empty Pool

Look at you

Sitting by an empty pool
Legs hanging
Into water
That's not there

You got a cigarette for me?

For me, huh?

I got you a beer
You got a cigarette for me?

Here, take your beer

Tell me a story, huh?

Go 'Once upon a time'

See what you say

Remember when we'd play castles with the Cat

Go outside
With a refrigerator box
Cut some windows out of it
And a door
And I'd be the dragon, remember?

Cat'd be the princess
And you'd be the queen
And I'd be the dragon
Blowing fire at you
While she fell out of breath
She was laughing so hard

'Daddy's a dragon,' 'member?

'Member 'Daddy's a dragon?'

My dad never did that for me
Didn't need to pretend to be a dragon

Just had to pretend to be a dad

You coming back to the party?

Then where you goin', huh?

Home?

Huh?

...I love you, you know

Love your legs
Love your arms
Love your baby ears

'Member when Cat would call 'em that

Mama's got baby ears

I'd say that's cause Daddy talks so much to her
Her ears just close up, say 'No, no, no'

You forget I love you ever, huh?

You forget?

Sometimes I think you do

Sometimes I look at you
And you look like you don't even know who I am

Hey

Come back to the party, okay?

Cat's at your mother's
We don't have to be home
We don't have to be anywhere
We can just sit out here in the empty pool
If you want to

Sit and look at cement
That what you want?

What do you want then?

What do you want?

Okay

We'll just sit here then

Want me to tell you a story?

Want me to say 'Once upon a time?'

Tell you something?

Tell you a good story?

Just tell me what you want to hear
And I'll start

I'll say 'Once upon a time'
And tell you something good

You always forget how good I am
At making something out of nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment