Saturday, April 2, 2011

I Want Them To Be Surprised

Can you do something about my eyelids?

They're a little...pale

I would just go tanning
But I do go tanning
And for some reason
The eyelids stay pale

They're stubborn, I guess
They're stubborn eyelids

Maybe you can inject something into them
Something that'll alter the color a bit

That's possible, isn't it?

Everything's possible nowadays, isn't it?

When I die
I want them to be surprised

My friends, family
People who knew me

I want them to look in the casket
And say--

'My God!  She looks fantastic!  It must have been sudden!'

I want them to think it was sudden
Even though it's not
Even though it won't be

That's what I want them to think

It's been three years
And we're coming to the end
And I've managed to keep everybody in the dark
With lots of smiling
And drugs--some not-quite-legal
And most importantly, little touch-ups here and there

Because if you look good
You are good

So everyone assumes I'm good

And I am
I'm good

I'm just going to be dead in a few months
And when that happens
I don't want anyone to see it coming

That might sound cruel
But it's no crueler
Than making them sit by a bedside
Watching me slip into oblivion

Better I just go quietly

And it'll certainly help them
If I look lovely and at peace
Instead of like something
That was dragged out of a cave

So, the eyelids

What can you do about them?

Eyes are the windows into the soul, you know

And I think I've got a good soul

The rest of me is up for debate
But my soul

It feels good

It feels really good

No comments:

Post a Comment