Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Marie, Upstairs

Yeah, man
I'll be up in a second

Yeah, man
In a second

I'm just, you know
Getting my shit up
You know?

Getting my shit together
Getting it all in a row
Getting it right, you know?

Marie's upstairs, man

She showed up
And I wasn't, like
Expecting to see her
You know
Because
I told Frankie to tell her
That I like her
And I didn't think she'd show up
Knowing I was here
Because then she'd know
I was going to lay it out for her
Like, I like you
What are you going to do about it?
But I wasn't planning on doing that tonight
Like I didn't plan a speech or nothin'
So instead I had to go out the fire escape
And chill down here
Until I could sort my shit out

Yeah, yeah
I hear them up there
Having fun

Well, shit
I don't need to have fun
I don't go to parties to have fun
I go to parties
To let everybody know
My shit is present

It is present
In this community
It is around, you know?

I'm all around you

I'm like the Lord

And Marie
She's like, gee
She's like--
She's like...

She blew the Lord
Out onto the fire escape
And down to the sidewalk

. . . . .

How'm I gonna talk to that girl, man?

I can't even look at that girl

People keep coming down
Saying--

'When you comin' up?  Marie wants to see you'

And I keep sayin--

'Not yet, not yet'

Can't let Marie see me all nervous

She didn't come here tonight
To see some guy shaking
In his chucks

She came to see a king
Not no doormat
Not no chalk drawing
Not no chump

She came to see me
Not even knowing
Who I am

So who'm I gonna show her, huh?

Who'm I supposta be?

Huh?

What they saying?

What?

Oh shit, man

I guess she ain't waitin' no more

I can't go upstairs
To see Marie

So now Marie's comin' down
To come see me

No comments:

Post a Comment