Sunday, April 24, 2011

Wendy Sees Her Shadow

Sam Cooke
Wants to know
Why I'm crying

Girl, he says
Why are you crying?

Poor Sam Cooke
Can't stop me from crying

All he can do
Is soothe me

Wanna tell him
I'm no stranger to crying

I've been crying
All my life

Tears
Feel like home

Taste like home
Too

The salt

See, I'm not a California chick
Originally

In many ways
Despite what you may hear
I am very
Unoriginal

Seems like
No matter where I go though

Every time I look out a window
There's an ocean

Oh sure,
This time it's just a pool

But that's just an ocean
With closer shores

I went swimming today in your pool
And my feet got stuck
Underwater

Took a long around
Felt like my lungs were gonna burst

Then my body shot up
And I came flying out
Like a dolphin at Sea World

The body don't know
All the nasty things
The mind wants to do

So what's the next step
In this relationship?

Do I sleep out here on the couch?

Wouldn't bother me

I spent a month on a couch one
And it sure wasn't
As nice as this one

Or would you rather
I come to bed with you?

I should warn you
I have a plane ticket
In a safe deposit box
That's going to take me home tomorrow

So if you were planning
On falling in love
I'd advise against it

But I wouldn't blame you
If you did

Hey, isn't tomorrow a holiday?

Don't you got folks to see
Or something?

Oh...

Well, I'm sorry

Can't be much fun being an orphan

Just one of those things in life
You never want to be

You're pretty thought
For an orphan, I mean

Looks like life went easy on you
After it kicked you in the face
The first time

Sorry

You one of those guys
Doesn't like being called 'pretty?'

I call everybody pretty

Boys, girls, everybody

Some people are just pretty
You know?

I like the way the light
Falls over your balcony

Going down to the pool
Down to the hillside
Down to the city

It looks like it's caught my shadow

And if I lean the right way
Just a little bit forward
I can make it go farther

I can take it down, down, down

Past the city
To who knows where

Makes me want to find a pair of scissors
And cut my shadow loose

Let it see
How far
It can go

No comments:

Post a Comment