Friday, March 20, 2020

A Good Match

I think she’s a great pick for you, Elijah
I think you’re--

I think you two
Are really going to hit it off
And I’m excited
For this chapter of your life
Her life
Both of your lives

She has been built
Exactly to the specifications that you--

Elijah, I hear you
I hear your--
I hear the emotion
In your voice
But we talked about the odds
Of you finding another human being
And we decided those odds--

They weren’t good

That’s why we’ve moved on
To half-cyber, half-human
Which I still think is a great option
Considering your advancing age
And the fact that you don’t want to die alone
But you still want a wife
You find attractive

Plus your price point
Which we both agreed
Was lower than normal
In terms of finding someone
More than fifty percent human

I’ve been doing this a long time
And nobody gets what they want
All the time and completely, right?

Nobody walks away going--

This is everything I thought it would be

The point is to find you someone
Who smiles when you come home
Who rolls over in bed at night to be held by you
Who makes you feel confident
That you won’t be on your deathbed
Wheezing and coughing
With nobody there to hold your hand

That’s what I can offer you with this, Elijah
This is a great match for you

I even--

Because you’re a great client
I even have her speaking Dutch, Elijah
Isn’t that fun?

I did that at no extra cost
I made sure she had the right programming
To know how to make seven different
Specialized cuisines
And you know cooking--

You know a good cook
Usually adds twenty percent
On top of the asking price
But I got it for you for nothing
So if you’re going to get in your feelings
About how human she is
I feel like I’ve bent over backwards for nothing
And I know you don’t want me to feel bad, Elijah
Because we’ve been working together a long time

You’ve been with me
Back when I was working
Only with androids
And I used to get you
All those girl-droids
At very reasonable prices
And never said anything about it
No matter what
You asked me for

And if you remember
I was telling you at the time
That we needed to find you a human wife
Because the supplies were already
Running low
And you told me that you weren’t the ‘marrying kind’
Do you remember that?

I’m not trying to--

Elijah, I’m not trying to rub your face in it
I just want to lay out the timeline
Because if you think you’re going to leave this office
With the exceptional deal
I have given you
And then fire up your reviewer later tonight
And give me a sub-par rating
Just because I couldn’t get you a full human woman
Then I think I should let you know
That I can just as easily release your purchase history
And I don’t think we--

Don’t talk to me about what’s illegal
Don’t do that

We both know legality is questionable right now
With the crime rate being what it is
So I doubt anybody will care
If my laptop with all your little proclivities on it
Gets stolen from me
And everything winds up on the social screens

Take your wife
Go home
And enjoy the rest of your life, Elijah

That’s my advice to you

If I could have done better
I would have
But at least half of her
Has the capacity to feel something
And honestly?

That’s more than the rest of us have, right?

And it’s sure as hell
Better

Than nothing

No comments:

Post a Comment