Saturday, March 14, 2020

The Last Minute

I miss a minute
Every day

I see it go by
I watch it
I can’t do anything about it
And I thought it was just me
And then I told my friend about it
And she said--

Well, it’s only a minute

It’s only a minute

But as I get older
I realize
That one day
I’ll want
All those minutes back

All those minutes
That seemed brief
As they went out the door

All those minutes
That sped up
When I passed this age
And that age

When I was young
Nothing went by me
That fast

And when it tried
I could grab it
If I wanted to
But I never wanted to

I used to push the minutes
Out the door
Begging them to go
So I could get
To someplace else
Where there weren’t so many minutes
Because I thought of that place
That room
That room with only so much time
As a place where the grown-ups go
And all I wanted
Was to be grown
So that I could be in control
Not realizing that they don’t keep control
In the grown-up room
They keep it
Somewhere else
And they never tell you
Where it is

Yesterday I missed a minute
And before I knew it was gone
Another one slipped past me
Then another
Then another

I thought--

Does this mean I’m dying?
Is this what dying is?

The room I was in
Emptied out
And the very last minute
Put on its hat
And asked if it could speak with me
For whatever a minute is
To a minute

I said that was all right
And the minute told me
That I wasn’t dying
But that I was
Running out of time
And that they’re not the same thing
Although it’s hard for us
As people
To understand the difference

I asked the last minute
What happens
When you run out of time
And it told me
That you move on the earth
Like a car or a tractor
Or something that can travel
But not traverse

You can go on vacations
You can go to work
You can go out to eat
But you’re not really going anywhere
And you leave no footprints
And you make no difference

The last minute told me
That in some ways
This kind of living is noble
But that most people would panic
If they were made aware
That this is how their life is

That they ran out of time
And kept going

That the game was over
The clock ran out
The ref called the game
And they kept dribbling the ball

I asked the last minute
If it would stay a little longer
But a minute is a minute
Even when it’s the last one

As it was leaving
I asked if there were any more minutes
And the last one said
It would prefer not to answer
That question

I understood
And I understood

But understanding

Was the hardest part

No comments:

Post a Comment